1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

motherboard choices

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by walkinman86, Apr 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. walkinman86

walkinman86 Thread Starter

I am building a new computer and have decided on an i7-2600k processor. My primary applications will be autocad, audio / video remastering, math calculations, and some gaming. I've been leaning toward one of the following 2 processors: 1) Asus P8Z77-V LGA 1155 Intel Z77 4xDDR3 , or, 2) ASRock Z75 Pro3 LGA 1155 Intel Z75 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0. Can anyone out there offer me a little insight, advice, or suggestions? Thanks.

2. jamesx121

jamesx121

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
  4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I am wondering, if you are building a new system, why go with a 4yr old cpu??? the 2600k was released in early 2011 and has already reached EOL [end of life]

If you are getting the cpu for free or next to free, then fine. If you are paying full price, then either go with a socket 1150 OR even better go with a socket 2011v3 cpu/mb.

5. walkinman86

Thankyou for the input, your help is invaluable to me. I don't build computers for a living, I build bridges. Building my own very high end comp has been a goal of mine for some time. But say I change the parameters a little, ( nothing as yet is written in stone), and were to opt for a gulftown processor instead of the more efficient sandy bridge, say a i7-980x, with a 1366 socket, what would be your choice of motherboard then?

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That is an even older cpu. If you are intending on running CAD or similar programs, here is what you need;
    CPU
    MB
    Memory

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you are intent on gaming, then go with a socket 1150 mb and an intel i54690K. Just depends on your intended use for the system.
    The socket 1150 stuff is quite a bit cheaper than socket 2011v3 stuff.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I am off to work for a few days. Good luck

9. walkinman86

Ok, I guess I am now committed. I got a mb today; an AsusTeK Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366/socket B. As such, I guess I'll have to opt for one of the i7 900 series cpus. I know the 920 is somewhat older, but this mb will also accommodate the i7-980 & 990x processors. While I do think that the 990x is substantially overpriced, I don't really see a problem with putting in an older 920, 930 or 950 for under $100, until the price becomes a bit more reasonable on the 980 and 990. Autocad is not the primary use for the rig I wish to build. In rank of priority, my uses would be: 1) audio / video transfer from other formats and remastering, mathematical calculations, autcad and lastly, gaming. Again, I really want to thank you for your input and help.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146884

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice