Motherboard corrupting power supply

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

visual8

Is it possible to have a motherboard corrupt a power supply?

I have a computer that quite working and I suspected the power supply. I installed a working power supply but that did not help. When I checked the voltage levels on the power supply, the 12 volt pins were only at 11 volts.

Did my motherboard wreck my ATX power supply?

Any help would be appreciated

Look at the label on your power supply. There should be a tolerance for your voltages of + or - so many volts. Are you sure it's not your motherboard that is bad??

visual8

I have looked at the power supply label. There is no +/- tolerance labeling on it.

The original power supply had a voltage level of 10 on pins 10 and 12. That voltage is way too low.

Could that have hurt the motherboard?

(I am starting to think that it is a serious motherboard problem.)

There should be a +3.3v +5v, a -5v, +12v and -12v does sound kinda low at 10v.

visual8

I have come to the conclusion that I need to have both a new motherboard and a new power supply. (anything for an upgrade)

Thanks for the help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online