1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Motherboard CPU error light on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Korvas, Jan 8, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Korvas

Korvas Thread Starter

Hey everybody, I decided to come on here because I really need some help.

Over Christmas, I was given a few components needed to upgrade my computer, I was given a new motherboard, Ram stick, graphics card, and the only thing I had to buy was a CPU. When I finally got all the parts together, I took them to work with me with my desktop and I put them together to help pass the time during my 12 hour shift. It took me 10 hours to assemble.

The parts are as follows:
    A Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming WiFi MB
    A Patriot Viper 16GB RAM
    A Intel i7-8700 CPU
    An MSI GeForce 1060 GTX

Along with that I also have 3 PC fans, a Seasonic PSU, and my HDD from the original build which is running windows 10

When I finally got the thing built, i didn't have a monitor to test it, so I tried to use a converter to plug an hdmi from the graphics card through into the Dvi-i port on my monitor, whic didn't work. But despite the fact that it didn't display any picture, the PC seemed to be working, at least for all that I could tell. It did seem to struggle starting up for the first time, they would start and then it would turn off and then it would start and run for a little bit and then it would turn off and it did that a few times before it seemed to settle into being on. But because I couldn't see anything on the screen, I turned it off and then took it home with me.

I left it in my car while I cleared up my room for space for a couple days, and then brought it inside. While I had it inside, I installed two of the three PC fans, and replaced the third one so that I have brand new fans, I also installed the power cable that goes from the graphics card to the PSU in order to ensure that the graphics card had power. I then went to bed and slept while my PC warmed up on my desk.

After I woke up, I went and got my parent's TV, which has an HDMI port, so I didn't need any kind of weird pass through, and set up my desktop for a proper first time running. I turned it on, it started up, a red light shone on the bottom right corner of the MB, the cpu light, and it settled into a cycle of repeatedly poweribg on and shutting off again.

I have taken out the graphics card and tried running it without it, I have taken out the ram stick, I have taken the ram stick and put it into a different slot, I have disconnected all of the fans, I have reseated the CPU, I have tried running it without the CPU, and in all instances the exact same error happens, it starts up, the CPU warning light comes on, and then it settles into a cycle of constantly resetting itself. Without displaying anyting.

I'm at my Wit's End, all of these parts are brand new and I don't know why they're doing this. Could anyone please help me or make a suggestion on what I can do to fix this?

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    A few things to check :-

1) Check the standoffs between case and motherboard are in the correct places, they should all be under a screw hole in the board.
    2) You did plug the correct connectors from the power supply into the ATX_12V_2x4 socket ? (page 5 motherboard manual, near top left).
    3) You plugged the Cpu heatsink's fan connector plug into the CPU_FAN connector socket on the mobo ? (p.5 top middle).
    4) Check the TV is set to look at it's correct input socket where you have connected the graphics cable from the PC.

Also you will not get a display from the motherboard's HDMI socket if the Graphics card is installed.
    The graphics card's power socket must be connected to the power supply before you will get a display from it.

Please check the above and let us know how you get on.

EDIT : tell us the exact ram, power supply and graphics card you have please.

3. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

1. You cannot expect a computer to - run - as you say - without a CPU

2. Whilst I have been checking some of the spec my colleague has posted and you should follow his advice re the connections
    and indeed the details of the exact ram - I presume from reading your post you have ONLY one stick of 16GB is that correct
    Which CPU heatsink/ cooler - is being used

3. Use the integrated graphics from the CPU - disconnect the card - take it out of the slot and connect to the Intel HD graphics on the I/O plate
    https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z370-AORUS-GAMING-WIFI-rev-10#sp
    Integrated Graphics Processor-IntelĀ® HD Graphics support:
    1. 1 x HDMI port, supporting a maximum resolution of [email protected] Hz
      * Support for HDMI 1.4 version and HDCP 2.2.
    4. That all said the continual constant off-on cycle MAY suggest a connection not properly made or indeed a wrong connection

5. Check your ram here
    http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_z370-aorus-gaimg-wifi.pdf
    to ensure it is on the QVL list. As the memory list says, not all ram can of course be checked by Gigabyte, but those Z370 boards are quite sensitive to ram requirements

6. You say a red led illuminated on the bottom right corner of the motherboard

20) CPU/VGA/DRAM/BOOT (Status LEDs)

The status LEDs show whether the CPU, graphics card, memory, and operating system are working properly after system power-on. If the CPU/VGA/DRAM LED is on, that means the corresponding device is not working normally; if the BOOT LED is on, that means you haven't entered the operating system yet.

CPU: CPU status LED

VGA: Graphics card status LED

DRAM: Memory status LED

BOOT: Operating system status LED
    There are four of them - which one was it - you say CPU - are you sure as that is the top left of the four as you look at the board with the four leds on the bottom right of the board

CPU DRAM
    VGA BOOT

take the drive OUT - get a successful post and stability first. It is pointless trying to connect a drive at this stage, when the system is from a different setup

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  4. Korvas

Korvas Thread Starter

I had it all set up just like that and tried the HDMI connections on both the graphics card and the MB, while the graphics card was in and out of the PC, the motherboard is mounted, the CPU fan is plugged into the CPU fan slot and the power for the CPU is plugged in where it's supposed to be.

My ram is a Patriot Memory Viper Elite Series DDR4 16GB 2400MHz (PC4-19200) Single Module (I only have one)

My power supply is a Seasonic FOCUS Plus Gold 550w

My graphics card is an MSI Gaming GeForce GTX 1060 6gb GDRR5 192-bit

The CPU is an Intel i7-8700 using the heatsink that came with it

The little red error light coming on on the desktop is the upper left light, which I believe the manually labeled as the CPU light.

5. Macboatmaster

When you reply type in box that appears when you return to the topic
    Please do not reply by clicking on reply on the post to you, as that quotes backs to us what we have typed.

On the evidence to hand it is either a CPU installation error OR a connection error
    You need to check ALL your work carefully
    Doing so in some cursory manner will NOT suffice in these circumstances.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  6. Korvas

Korvas Thread Starter

Alright, then I'll take everything out and put it all back in, piece by piece and see if I get a different result.

7. Macboatmaster

Cheers
    Have you built a system before please

8. Korvas

Korvas Thread Starter

I have once before. Years ago.

9. Macboatmaster

Cheers
    The error if there is one could of course be anywhere, but the usual culprits on the evidence available would be the CPU mounting
    PAY special attention to the notches on the CPU and the arrow markings on the mounting
    Check very carefully that you have not inserted incorrectly causing a bent pin.

I presume you have removed the protective pad from the thermal paste on the cooler.
    The Seasonic modular PSU it is not that difficult to use the wrong connection
    Check carefully
    https://seasonic.com/focus-plus-gold#

As my colleague mentioned mounting of the board - standoffs need checking

I recommend YOU do check that ram - although the CPU led is on, one cannot rely totally on that being the true cause.

I also suggest you assemble bare minimum out of case

If there is no result on errors my money apart from faulty component on supply eg Board, etc is on the ram

10. Macboatmaster

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just read through this thread. From what I see posted, here is what I would check;
    1 Be absolutely sure the 8pin pw connector is installed correctly. Make sure the notches/clips are on the same side
    2 ATX pw connector not installed correctly or not fully seated
    3 Bent cpu socket pin
    4 Board shorting due to incorrect placement of standoffs

12. Korvas

Korvas Thread Starter

Alright, I took everything out, all of the cables, the cpu, the motherboard, and fans. Then I put the CPU back in, put the cable for power for the motherboard into the PSU, then put the CPU power cable into the PSU, and plugged that into MB, and then I turned it on. It's still giving me the little red light and continuously resetting.

I do remember that the plastic shield protecting the ZIF socket was loose when I opened it, maybe it bent a pin before I got my hands on it

13. Macboatmaster

Well on the evidence available it appears that it is time to RMA the board, presuming you followed the advice in my post 10 - out of case test

14. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    If you shine a flashlight into the Cpu socket you should be able to tell if any pin(s) are bent or not.

15. Korvas

Korvas Thread Starter

Well, I just wanted to update you guys and let you know, it was bent pins in the socket. I contacted Amazon, explaining that the MB was damaged and they sent me a replacement. This ones plastic shield was in place and while moving the CPU from the damaged board to the new one, I could see quite clearly with a comparison where the pins had been bent. I am sending this on my desktop, which is now working and I'll be sending the defective MB back. Thank you so much for your help guys!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221590

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice