1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

motherboard cpu upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tide2012, Feb 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tide2012

tide2012 Thread Starter

i wanted to know what motherboard/cpu combo would work with a gateway gt5411e desktop system

2. pvc_

pvc_

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Instead of trying to replace the motherboard and processor (which is going to involve replacing other components) and then possibly winding up with a non-working computer, why don't you buy a more powerful and faster refurbished desktop?

I've been buying refurbished Dell desktops for the past 2 years and will likely never buy a new one again.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ... 40000010 4016 600014711&IsNodeId=1&name=DELL

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Desktops/Dell,/brand,/132/subcat.html?sort=Highest+Price

-----------------------------------------------------------

4. Simba7

Simba7

Not another i945 chipset system..

Ok. The maximum memory is 4GB with ~3.25GB usable. You can stick a Core 2 Duo on it, but that's about all you can do with that system. If you want to upgrade it, I'd suggest you just build a new system or buy one.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I concur with everyone else but I'll elaborate a little further as to why. Gateway's are not quality systems and have many low quality parts and it's an old platform to invest money into. If you replace the motherboard and CPU to get a more modern or faster system you will also need to replace the RAM to make it compatible with new motherboards, you'll have to replace the power supply to get a unit that's not extremely low quality and known to die and damage hardware on their way out, and you'll need optical drive as the specs say that model came with an PATA/IDE drive and that's no longer provided on the newest motherboards. On top of that you will need to purchase a new copy of Windows as the OEM Gateway copy lives and dies with the Gateway system it came it. So they only thing you can use is the not fully standard Gateway case and the hard drive. And those are really keeping to be honest, a standard case will be better and a new hard drive will be faster.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090657

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice