1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Motherboard Dead? How can you be sure? Johnwill--this one's for you!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mulderator, Feb 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mulderator

Mulderator Thread Starter

Ok--friend gave me an older computer to look at. I tried powering it up and nothing--not even the fan on the PS. So I threw in a different PS and the PS turns on but that's it--nothing on the MOBO. Popped out the CMOS battery and popped it back in. Still nothing. I think the PS when it went bad probably fried the MOBO, but how do you know for sure?

Its an older MB so there isn't any extra 4 pin connector or anything like that.

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

If you put a known to be good processor and some good memory in it and it still refuses to work........

3. Mulderator

Well, if the processor is bad, its not worth fixing anyway because its an old computer. If the memory is bad, wouldn't it still boot and then you'd get a memory error?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No, it will not post however you "Should" get a series of beeps that correspond to a memory problem.

Mulder are you trying for a post outside of the case? I would do this first to eliminate a mounting problem. If it posts, great. If not the next thing I would do would be to pull the memory and then power up. If you do not get a warning beep, either the cpu or the board is dead [maybe both]

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

No not necessarily. If the memory was bad or dislodged it could fail to boot and you could have no signs of life at all. Same is true of video card and you need to check or try another video card before giving up on motherboard.

6. Mulderator

Well, I did try posting it outside the case and same thing--nothing--I don't have another video card. I did try another stick of memory and nothing.

My guess is since the PS is bad that it fried the MOBO.

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

It could well have done so but the video card is equally likely. Is this an agp card or onboard because I was guessing it is onboard and the psu could easily have affected that. Adding an Agp or pci card would test it for sure.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I doubt I'd even have given it the P/S. :D

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544618

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice