1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Motherboard died...need to transfer ssd to new setup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jackcsprat, Jun 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jackcsprat

jackcsprat Thread Starter

My current specs are:
    Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz
    Asus Z97-A ATX LGA 1150 Motherboard
    Gskill Sniper Series 4x4GB (Total 16 GB RAM)
    Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200 RPM harddrive
    Samsung 860 1TB 2.5" Solid State drive
    EVGA - GeForce RTX 2060 6GB XC Ultra Gaming Video Card
    LG Blu-Ray/DVD/CD writer
    Corsair Vengeance C70 ATX Midtower Case
    External 2TB drive for storing pictures,videos,etc.
    Windows 10 64bit

And the powersupply I just purchased is a Corsair CX650M

The above motherboard died and I just purchased the following components.
    Core I5 8400 CPU
    GSkill 3200 2x8GB RAM
    Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X motherboard

My question is, can I take the ssd drive where I have Windows 10 64 bit installed from my old system and hook it up to my new build without having to reinstall Windows 10 ? Is Windows 10 smart enough to just recognize the new hardware and install the necessary drivers or do I need to wipe the drive and start from scratch which I really do not want to do ? I read the post by one of the moderators about transferring a drive to a new system, but those instructions assume the old motherboard is still functioning.

Thanks much for any help.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Yes Windows 10 can re-adjust itself to run on new hardware. I setup Win 10 on one system and load the drive image to another SSD and it works fine. But for optimal results, you should run Windows Update so that Windows fetches the best drivers.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, win10 should setup the hardware for you however you do understand you are still going to have to activate windows. The old win lic is tied to the original hardware; you change the board and you need a new win10 lic.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    jackcsprat:

Just to be sure you don't misunderstand what lunarlander and crjdriver said:

When you install and activate Windows 10 in a computer, the activation is tied to its motherboard.
    If you remove a HDD/SSD and replace it with another HDD/SSD and then install Windows 10 in the other HDD/SSD, Windows 10 will automatically activate.
    However, you've replaced the motherboard and not the HDD/SSD.
    When you install your HDD/SSD in the replacement motherboard, Microsoft will detect it as a different computer and will not automatically activate Windows 10.
    You can try calling Microsoft and explaining the situation to them.

--------------------------------------------------------------

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW just did one just like that; win10 on an intel z270 chipset board to an amd X370 asus board with a 1700X. It does not get much different than that. Win10 enterprise setup hardware and booted; no problem. Installed all drivers and input the lic/key. Done.

6. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

Yes; but, Enterprise is a completely different beast than Home or Pro. Both of the latter two will get deactivated and need a new key unless Microsoft decides to be very nice.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Did you miss this part; specifically the input lic/key??? Of course it will not be activated until you input a valid lic.

8. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

Enterprise will allow you to use the same key on multiple PCs. Home and Pro won't.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

How much experience do you have with enterprise? Enterprise can be installed as a volume lic OR with a standard lic/key. In my example enterprise was installed using a standard key and not using kms or key mgt software. In any case, the operating system was deactivated [as it should have been] with the hardware swap. Installed a valid key and activation was complete.

10. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

In the 42+ years I have been fixing these things, Enterprise has been a rarity that was only found at larger corporate businesses. Home and Pro are far more common. Historically, if three or more things change in the hardware (and a system board is about twenty), Windows deactivates that copy automatically; but, will not accept the same key for most versions.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Well enterprise is no different; it deactivates if there is a major hw change. If you are using volume lic ie kms, it will phone home on it's own and reactivate. If [as in my example] you are using a key lic, you must input a valid lic key and again it will phone home and activate. Since the key in question had not been used in quite some time, it just worked. If it had been used recently OR too many times, then you would have to call MS.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!