1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Motherboard - Drive power question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ~Candy~, Feb 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator Thread Starter

This might be a silly question....... ;)

But, upon powering the computer up, if a power supply isn't working correctly, and the cpu fan spins, the case fan spins, the power supply fan spins, the keyboard lights up for just a second, but the cdrom door won't open........could the motherboard or cpu be the culprit, or would that narrow it down to the power supply not putting enough power out?

2. n2gun

n2gun

Candy
    Another possibility is the cd drive. I had one that would not open and ended up replacing it.

Actually though It would be difficult to eliminate the m/b or power supply. If the cpu was drawing enough power that the cd would not open it seems it would overheat and burn out. You could also check the cpu temperature after a short time and if it is extremely high with sufficient cooling on it then that would be a good clue that the cpu is drawing too much power.

I think I would try to eliminate another ide device first though by disconnecting what I could from the power supply.

3. ~Candy~

Thanks for the reply Jerry.

The cdrw was working yesterday as I installed drivers for the USB NIC adapter. I left it on overnight, and this morning, the fans were still running, nothing on the screen, the hard drive still felt warm, cpu was cold. So I rebooted and am still fiddling with it. I have someone who can test the power supply with a multi-meter :)confused: think that's what it is called, not my area of knowledge) to be sure it's not a power supply issue.

This is the only computer that isn't on backup power, just a cheap power strip that is 'supposed to' have surge protection. Guess I'll start ripping things apart again. I just got it working yesterday for the first time in a month or so......my luck I guess :p

4. n2gun

n2gun

Candy if your going to test the power supply maybe the diagram below will help. It is for an atx supply. If you disconnect from the motherboard and short pins 13 and 14 it will turn it on. (Less chance of damaging something and easier)

Attached Files:

5. ~Candy~

Yes, it's ATX or is it?....now I'm going to show my lack of power supply knowledge :D

How do I short those? I don't wanna blow anything up this morning :eek:

Actually, I don't think it is ATX.....I can never keep those straight. This one has two connectors with 6 wires each.......

6. n2gun

n2gun

Just take a small piece of wire and bare about a 1/4 of an inch on each end. Then stick them in the holes for pins 13 and 14. You could even use a paper clip. All this is doing is acting like a switch.

That acually sounds like an AT power suplly so this won't work.

Check the link below it will give you the pin out for the at supply.
    You will probably have to check it while attached to the board and running.

http://www.computerhope.com/help/ps.htm#0112

7. ~Candy~

Hi Jerry, thanks, didn't catch that last edit until I had the power supply tested. I'm being told that it's only putting out 10.7, 10.8 volts (I guess?) and it's supposed to put out 12? ......so I guess that means that I'll be replacing it?

8. n2gun

n2gun

It is definitely outside a 5% tolerance. I would try another one and see.

Have you tried eliminating some of the hardware? It is possible that something is dragging it down also. Hard drive? things like that. they draw 12v to run the motors and if one is drawing way to much the voltage would drop. Another thought maybe a fan?

9. ~Candy~

Yep, eliminated all of the hardware. Only one small case fan (and the cpu fan) and come to think of it, the small case fan appeared not to be running as fast as I think I remembered it used to be.........

Will try another one.......think I will just buy a new case and P/S combo since I don't like the floppy drive slot on this one anyway ;)

Thanks for your input :)

10. n2gun

n2gun

If your getting a new power supply might as well get a pretty case to go with it.;)

It could be that fan. Just try unplugging it for a few minuites and see what happens.

11. ~Candy~

It's hard wired to a connector on the power supply......don't ask, I didn't do it............I'd have to cut the wire :eek:

12. n2gun

n2gun

Your going to replace it any way. Cut the wires and tape the ends coming from the power supply. If it is running slow it is either not getting enough power or is on its last legs any way.

13. ~Candy~

Ok, I've had one glass of wine too many to be trying to cut wires tonight :D Don't need a new perm that bad........will test that theory in the morning or Monday.......

Thanks again for all the help!

14. n2gun

n2gun

Have a couple glasses for me while your at it. Too much snow to go anywhere. I am not afraid to drive in it being originally from the snow belt but the other guys bother me when they slip and slide all over.:D :D

Let me know how you make out when you try it.:)

15. ~Candy~

Ok, clipped the little puppy off.......still no cdrom drive opening. Hooked up a smaller noisy backup power supply (probably soon to die too) and cdrom tray opened.....so diagnosis is bad power supply and Candy is still getting a brand new case :D :D

Thanks again Jerry!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118577

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice