1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Motherboard Drivers - Gigabyte/Vista

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by speed_e, Jul 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. speed_e

speed_e Thread Starter

Hi

I have just re-installed an old PC with Windows Vista. Was running Linux.

I have not been able to find the driver for the 2nd HDD controller on my Gigabyte motherboard.

The main controller is working (3 SATA drives attached) but the motherboard has an onboard PATA driver with RAID1 or 0. I have two drives attached to that (no RAID) but unable to find the correct driver.

I believe the motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-8I915P-MF. However, the driver from that page says my computer does not meet the minimum requirements.

Any advice on narrowing down the search for these drivers please?

Cheers
    Craig

2. daniel_b2380

daniel_b2380

without the actual make and model, it usually turns into a total disaster when looking for drivers
    - they really NEED to be for a SPECIFIC unit to be able to work properly - otherwise you are continually plagued by the little 'glitches' forever - and then people tend to blame the manufacturer for a 'bad' board

- SOMETIMES the mb drivers for a 'series' of boards will work - [such as xxxx rev 1.xx] - but even then, it's a 'crap-shoot' in that the reason for the revision is why they are a different number

the mb name and model are usually printed on the top of the mb and it's a simple matter in that all you have to do is open the side-cover on the case and look

but occassionally they are on the bottom - and you have to remove the board from the case to find the info

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

When I check the specs on that board, it does not show a second controller. It shows all ports controlled by the southbridge ICH6.

Open the case and get the exact model of board then post it here.

4. speed_e

speed_e Thread Starter

Using a program called System Information Viewer it reports the motherboard is this model:
    Gigabyte 8I915P Duo Pro

5. daniel_b2380

daniel_b2380

why can't you remove the side-cover of the case and look?

is this a personal pc, or is it a business unit with intrusion detection?

6. speed_e

speed_e Thread Starter

The motherboard has the same thing written on it.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I find no info on the gigabyte site. Is this a big box system ie hp, gateway, dell, etc that uses a gigabyte board?

8. speed_e

speed_e Thread Starter

No, it is a home built system. This is it here.

9. Jordster

Jordster

10. speed_e

speed_e Thread Starter

Tried them.. the Chipset one installs.

But the 2nd SATA driver one says something about the computer not meeting minimum requirements.

11. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    For the Pata Driver you should only need the Chipset Driver. If you are having problems with the Sata Raid Driver, are you trying to set up a raid?

12. speed_e

speed_e Thread Starter

Well, no. The SATA drives are working fine. And I am not interested in RAID.

It is only the PATA drives that are not working.

Perhaps I will look in the bios and see if anything has been disabled in there.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/840613

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice