1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Motherboard Expanding?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xSdudex, Jul 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xSdudex

xSdudex Thread Starter

So i got a computer from an aunt, which suffered a harddrive failure. It is pretty descent for an office computer, but i'd like to increase the speed a little bit. However i do not know how much i can expand upon the computer.

The specs are:

Motherboard: MCP61PM-AM
    Processor: AMD Athlon x2 5000+ 2.6ghz dual core
    Memory: 2Gb DDR2 667Mhz
    Harddrive: (Will be) 1TB Western Digital 3.0gb/s 3.5'' 5400 RPM Sata
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForceĀ® 6150SE integrated graphics
    Power: 300Watt Supply
    Operating System: (Was Vista Premium) Will be Win 7 Premium

So how much can i expand upon this computer? Im new at computer stuff

Thanks,

xSdudex

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

Memory is the cheapest item you can purchase to increase performance.

The motherboard in your machine is a manufacturer proprietary board built by ECS for the Acer Group. Apparently these boards were used in some eMachine, Gateway and Acer desktops. There are two boards with the exact same model number, i.e. MCP61PM-AM. One board has 2 memory slots and the other board has 4 memory slots.

The only real information I could see on the board was from the Gateway site and the board with 4 memory slots supports up to 4GB of memory. I would guess the maximum memory supported by the board with 2 memory slots would most likely be 2GB. If your board has 2 memory slots and you have 2GB installed, you are probably maxed out with that board.

The Gateway site indicated that the board supported Windows XP and Windows Vista and they had no Windows 7 drivers for download. Hopefully Win 7 will have the drivers you need, if not you may have to do some searching to see if Win 7 drivers are available for that board.

Personally, I wouldn't spend a lot of money on this machine. ECS boards are not quite the bottom of the barrel, but are near the bottom of the barrel as far as motherboards go.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Other than the ram increase, about the only other thing I would suggest is to get a WD black series drive rather than the one you posted ie the 5400rpm drive. The black series is a higher quality drive [dual motor supports and dual processors] AND they have a 5yr warranty.

With only a 300W pw supply, you are pretty much stuck with the onboard video. If you upgrade to a larger pw supply, then a real video card would be another option.

4. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

There is quite a bit of vary on how much RAM these computers could handle as you can see this one says 2GB on the 4 slot motherboard so maybe different manufactures E.g. Gateway, Emachines have different BIOS versions on the board or different locked/unlocked features on the board

http://www.e4allupgraders.info/dir1/motherboards/socketam2/ecsMCP61PM-AM.shtml

Upgrades to the CPU are very limited and hit and miss as there is no official CPU support list that I can find and people have tried installing 5600+ CPU's which have then caused errors and black screens so CPU upgrading would be very hard.

As crjdriver said the best upgrade would be a video card. This would take some of the load of the CPU and the chipset and also free up system memory. You could just install a fairly standard graphics card such as this one
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127480&cm_re=5450-_-14-127-480-_-Product
    and then power it with a fairly standard PSU such as this one
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...7171042&cm_re=400w_PSU-_-17-171-042-_-Product

It isn't worth spending too much money on a system like that as it has very limited upgrade paths to be honest.

Jack-O-Bytes

Jack-O-Bytes

5. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1006719

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice