Motherboard failure or video card failure?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

starscream63

Heres the basics: I had my digital camera connected to my computer via usb. Through an unfortunate series of events, my computer was on standbye and the camera got unplugged without telling the computer to disconnect it first. The computer told me a file was corrupt then shut off, and it won't start anymore. When I turn it on, the harddrives start working, but my master cd drive starts clicking. Neither cd drive works at all. I tried removing all the RAM and starting the computer to listen for beeps, but I heard none. From what i've read so far, that indicates a motherboard failure, but the no output points to a video card failure. I'm not sure what steps to take next, so any help will be very appreciated.

My computer: Dell Dimension 4600, Windows XP Pro, 1gb RAM, 200 gb and 80 gb hard drive, 2.3 ghz pentium 4, sp1

What you can do is plug out everything just leaving you Ram, MB ,processor display card, power supply and turn on the machine once done and evrything runs smoothly and disply is shown than its none of the above device problem if there was a problem in that stage than you can narrow down try interchanging the ram module into different sockets. If you have another diaply card you can try that too. IF that worked try hooking up all devices one by one .See which one gives you problem.

did a system restore help? or;
to check for the system files integrity and finally fix for any problems
Start-Run- type
sfc /fix
press enter

Just for reference I have found dell support very helpful. That is if you can understand the tech people, they are in Pakistan and have heavy accents. They do however know the product.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts