1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Motherboard Fan Replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SidSilverSurfer, Jul 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SidSilverSurfer

SidSilverSurfer Thread Starter

I have Windows XP and the Motherboard is described as Eveshamvale - no other model number or info given.

I am getting an intermittent dual tone beep and I think this is caused by the fan failing to run full speed??? Is this a correct assumption first of all.
    Do the beeps appear when perhaps the temperature rises because of the slowing down on the fan blades?

I have undone the four screws that keep the fan blades attached to the rest of the fan housing and have oiled it sparingly. Although the beep will often go away for hours at a time, they do return.

I am not conversant with motherboards at all although I have installed DVD Drives etc. How difficult is it to replace the fan with a new one and how would I go about getting one.

My system is getting on in age (6 years old) but I want to keep it going until next year if poss when Windows 7 will have been out for some time!!!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated you tech guys.

(y)

Wen

2. rickyjo

rickyjo

If you power on the computer and it beeps at you immediately those are called beep codes. They emit before the graphics can be loaded.
    If the beeps happen after windows is loaded then you will have to describe it to us.

Beep codes define a particular problem, but it's probably not the fan.
    You will have to find the manual to your computer and listen closely to the pattern emitted and match it to the described problem.
    Dell computers also have diagnostic lights that are much easier. Bare in mind beep codes may repeat.

In my experience beep codes are caused by the memory more than fifty percent of the time in a computer that has been working.

3. SidSilverSurfer

The beeps occur when Windows has loaded and can resume at any time thereafter. They are short and two tone. In the past,on rare occasions, I have helped the fan blades to rotate slightly faster with a deft flick of my fingers when the beeps immediately stop.

I have tried unscrewing the 4 screws slightly and tightening them up in case the casing was somehow affecting the fan but this has not solved the problem.

Tonight there hasn't been one beep from the system even though on startup this morning it did beep for a short time until I pressed the middle of the fan when the beep stopped. However, this type of action has not stopped it everytime in the past.

There was no manual with this Evesham System.

The fan is not particularly noisey.

Tis driving me potty ....

4. rickyjo

rickyjo

Is it coming from your speakers or the computer? There are usually some small speakers inside the case that are essentially for beepcodes only in modern computers. Those hook up from your case to your motherboard.

That's weird, to be honest if the system is working I would unplug the beep code speakers (if it is coming from the case), perhaps they are malfunctioning? Regardless without a manual or a way to determine what it means they are not helpful and there is no reason to suffer them.

You can sometimes fairly easily identify what wire goes to the speakers.

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    The dual tone beep, does it sound similar to a european police siren? If so this is a CPU overheat warning. ANd unplugging the speaker that gives you the beeps is taking away a level of protection for your system Do not do it. It is not good advice.

6. SidSilverSurfer

Thanks again you Tech Guys.
    I have to admit I was wrong about the Beeps coming after Windows loads. This morning the dual tone beep came immediately I started up and it sounds very much like a European police siren.

I have not unplugged the fan at all and definately not when the computer is running. This morning, for instance, it bleeped a couple of times only and then went silent (and is still silent as I type).

I cannot see any loudspeakers within the CPU.

I tend to believe that it is an overheat warning but what can I do about it?

The Power Unit fan is working OK as far as I can see. The fan I am having the trouble with seems OK for the moment but.......

There is a third fan fixed to the back of the CPU Tower which has never been connected from new. I do not know whether it is possible to connect a third fan or where the plug for this is situated. It has the appropriate leads (black/red/white) descending from it with the usual tiny plug on the end but it has always been tidily tied up and unused.

Would the addition of a third fan help?

Sorry to ask such basic questions but the system has never played up this way before in 6 years of use.

W

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    There may be a set of pins on the motherboard labeled Chassis Fan or maybe system fan. This would be where you connect the fan on your computer case.

As to the siren sounding beeps, you can try making sure your CPU Fan and heatsink are clean and free of dust. Use a can of compressed air that you can get at Walmart, Kmart, Staples, Office Depot or some similar store. Do not use your vacuum cleaner. THis can be a big Static Electricity problem and ruin your system.

8. SidSilverSurfer

Many thanks Dustyjay. I will take a good look at my motherboard tomorrow. I have dusted out the fan itself but will obtain a can of compressed air and have a go at the heatsink.

Today the computer has not beeped once even though its been on the whole time.........

Tomorrow may be a different story.

Your help and advice is much appreciated

W

9. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I did a google search on Eveshamvale Motherboards. The newest hit I got was for articles dated October 1999. What Processor is on your motherboard? Is it a Celeron or an athlon? I am getting the distinct impression that the company that manufactured the motherboard is no longer in business and has not been for several years.

10. SidSilverSurfer

Hi again Dustyjay.
    Evesham went out of business a couple of years ago although they had been a fairly well known vendor here in England.
    I have an Intel Pentium 4.

I looked all over the Motherboard for a plug for the extra fan but cannot find one. There is a 7 prong one (4 over 3) and a 5 (3 over 2)
    but nothing that fits the fan plug. Is there any other way of getting it working??

I have cleaned the heatsink as best I can and today it has not yet beeped at me. However, it is knowing it could do so at any second.

There is that unused fan sitting on the back wall of the CPU looking at me as if to say "why don't you use me"?

Aren't computers fun!

I appreciate your time in trying to help me. Many thanks.

Wen

11. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    You could pick up a fan adapter so that you can plug the fan into one of the 4 pin Molex connectors like are plugged into your hard drive or Optical drive. Don't know where in the UK you would get one, but they are common. If you have a Radio Shack nearby you could even try there I have bought them at Radio Shack here and they were only a couple dollars, don't know what that would work out to for you though. I don't kow what the exchange rate is.

Look at this, this is what one would look like. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812706019 Unfortunately New Egg doesn't ship to the UK.

12. win2kpro

win2kpro

13. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    my bad, I didn't look close enough. I been a one man concrete crew today, moving 3200Lbs of Bagged readimix tends to make me tired. Good catch though, thanks.

14. SidSilverSurfer

Thanks again Dustyjay and also Win2kPro.

Radio Shack went out of business here many moons ago but now I know what to look for I can surely find the appropriate adapter locally.

Am very grateful to you both and this looks like a good solution.

Would you believe that today (and yesterday) there hasn't been one beep!!!! Could it be simply that temperatures have decreased slightly outside?? In any event I might just as well get the fan working and it is another piece of computer knowledge that I am grateful for.

Wendy from Kent, U.K.

15. win2kpro

win2kpro

Just thinking about moving 3200 Lbs of bagged readimix tends to make me tired. :D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/844832

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice