1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Motherboard flashing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Abriam26, Feb 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Abriam26

Abriam26 Thread Starter

Hey TSG users,

I want to flash my BIOS.
    Problem 1: I have never flashed before. (I want to do it from Windows XP)
    Problem 2: I don't know my current BIOS version.
    Problem 3: I don't know which one is the best, I suppose the latest (middle one) -> http://www.foxconnchannel.com/ProductDetail.aspx?T=Motherboard&U=en-us0000107

Motherboard is in the link.
    Please help me out :)

Thanks in advance,
    Abiram26

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Is there a particular reason you want to flash the BIOS? There are 3 bios updates listed on that page for your motherboard under Tech Support. If you are not experiencing a problem that is listed by the bios updates then you should not attempt a bios flash. Remember a BIOS Flash that fails can leave your motherboard totally useless. If you just want the latest Bios Version because it the latest, that is not a good reason to flash the bios. If the BIOS Update would add CPU Compatibility and you are looking to upgrade you processor, or correct a known problem with you current version, that would be a good reason.

You can find the current BIOS Version by entering the bios before windows begins to load by pressing the DEL key.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I completely agree with dusty and I would add that when you flash a bios, do not do it from within xp. Do the flash from a boot disk. When you add windows to any task, you further complicate said task.

I have not worked on a foxconn board for a while however as I recall, they do not have a built in flashing utility in the bios and you have to do the flash from a dos boot disk.

4. Abriam26

Abriam26 Thread Starter

Hmm, okay.
    In that case I will not flash my BIOS...
    I just wanted it to have the latest.
    So it isn't true that having the latest BIOS makes the computer faster?

5. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    In most cases the Bios upgrade is for a particular problem, not necessarily making the computer faster.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That board has the 915 chipset and it is getting very old now. It was released in mid 2004; that is more than a lifetime in the computer hardware world. There really is not much you are going to do to make it any faster.

7. Simba7

Simba7

You can flash it, but I would suggest utilizing a floppy. It looks like they did fix a few issues and added some capabilities in 557F1P38:

1.Fix the issue that BIOS can be flashed by winflash when setting SuperBIOS-Protect as enable
    2.Add SMBIOS 2.3 support
    3.Fix the issue that system

I'm looking at the SMBIOS 2.3 support.

8. Abriam26

Abriam26 Thread Starter

Is is better to do the flash?
    I'm a bit of a computer tweaker.
    (P.S. the current BIOS is kind of broken... (it doesn't save anything))

9. Simba7

Simba7

Go ahead.. Just keep in mind to do NOTHING while the BIOS is being flashed.

Also, if the power gets interrupted in the middle of a flash, you'll have a very nice paperweight.

Use this disk to make the flash diskette: http://www.bootdisk.com/plan120512/drdflash.exe
    Then extract the files from http://www.foxconnchannel.com/drive...el/Socket775/915GV7MH-S/BIOS/557F1P38_RLS.zip and put that on the diskette.

Then reboot the system from the disk and enter AFU865.EXE and press Enter. Make sure you follow the directions.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Have you replaced the cmos battery? If not, I would do so before doing anything else.

11. Abriam26

Abriam26 Thread Starter

Yes I bought a new battery (CR032) and replaced it.
    And it didn't work.
    Also tried to use the default settings in the BIOS itself.. (no luck)
    Also one temperature sensor is broken.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!