1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Motherboard for Compaq x1002us

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Win98SEAA, Aug 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Win98SEAA

Win98SEAA Thread Starter

My Compaq x1002us (bought in Jan 04) has a defective motherboard.

I gathered as much from HP that I don't need a new processor (Intel Mobile Pentium 4-M processor - 1.40GHz; 400MHz front side bus, 1024KB Internal level-2 cache).

It costs over $500 to get a new OEM one from HP and I need to find another solution to this because by the time I pay someone to change it, I am looking at close to $700...ouch!!:eek:

If anyone else has encountered this problem or has figured out a nifty solution, I would sure appreciate it.

Thank you.

2. pinntech

pinntech

Hi...

Please explain "DEFECTIVE MOTHERBOARD". As in WHY it is defective or how you have derived that it is defective.

Thanks,

Shane

3. Win98SEAA

Win98SEAA Thread Starter

It won't turn on anymore.
    I "inherited" this from a family member who had it checked out at their school's tech support. Someone there was kind enough to let us know it was the motherboard that was the problem - but they don't fix hardware problems, so I'm by myself on this one.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are pretty much out of luck. Compaq, dell, hp, etc are proprietary that is the board is not a standard size. You cannot buy a standard atx board and install it in the case; slots etc will not line up.
    You have only two options.
    1 Buy a new case, power supply, and standard atx board. Install your hd, optical drives, keyboard, mouse, and memory OR

2 Buy the replacement board from compaq / hp

FWIW I would always opt for the new case, board and power supply. At least it will be standard.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

yeah crj is right that it never pays to try to add another board to a brand name case.
    No mobo retails for $500 and this is probably about a $75 retail if that were possible. Unfortunately they have proprietary plugs in their systems making it impossible to turn another board on, so I would buy a new pc before attempting this.

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

Look around for $700 you can buy a new notebook.

7. Win98SEAA

Win98SEAA Thread Starter

All! Thanks for helping to shed some light on this problem. I really appreciate it.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489796

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice