1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Motherboard fried and RAM replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ericmoles, Jan 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ericmoles

ericmoles Thread Starter

Hello all!

My desktop was showing no signs of power. I pressed the on switch and nothing happened. I took the computer into a shop, and they said the motherboard is toast. The board shows a green light on it when it is plugged in. Would this light shine green if the board was fried?

I am shopping for a new motherboard and was wondering if I should replace it with the exact same one, or if there was a benefit to choosing a new board, or a new board and processor. I currently have an Intel DP965LT and am running a E6600 Intel processor.

Also, I have 4 RAM slots and two of them are filled with 1 Gig of DDR2 800 cards for a total of 2 gigs of ram. I've read that the board can upgrade to a total of 8 gigs. I would like to have at least 4 gigs, but I'm a little confused about the RAM slots. I've read that if you want 8 gigs, you have to run 2 gig cards that run at 533. Is this slower? Would it be better to have 4, 1 gig cards running at 800 or 4, 2 gig cards running at 533? If I buy two more 1 gig 800 cards can I just put them in the remaining two slots (ie plug and pray)?

Thanks, and I hope this isn't too confusing
    Eric

2. Sponsor

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Do you have a way to install Windows on a new system? If it is a proprietary board and system, your Windows license and the recovery media may not support a different board.

A 32-bit operating system cannot use 4 GB's of RAM. But you will notice no difference between 533 and 800 to speak of, and more RAM will improve things on Vista or 7, anyway. Anything over 512 on XP will make no difference.

4. ericmoles

ericmoles Thread Starter

I have the Windows XP discs and license code that came with the system. Could I load XP from them using a new board, or would I have to buy a new operating system?

I didn't even know my system is 32 bit. Are you saying I can't just buy two more 1 gig cards, and that it wouldn't make a difference anyway since I'm running XP?

5. frankjohn

frankjohn

If you can replace the board with the exact board you will be able to no pblms with the existing hardwareECT.As far as the ram go to http://www.crucial.com after your up and running to see what the board can take. when you go to the crucial site click on scan my system

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Are they regular, normal XP disks, or are they recovery disks from the manufacturer?

If you have a normal, full-version XP CD, you can use it on your system.

7. ericmoles

ericmoles Thread Starter

I believe they are regular, normal XP discs as I have loaded XP onto another desktop using them.

Any thoughts on these questions?

Also wondering, how involved is installing and configuring a replacement motherboard? I wouldn't mind trying it myself, but I found a shop that will do it for 80 bucks flat fee.

Thanks for your help,
    Eric

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Not bad, really. If you have mechanical ability and are not all thumbs, the directions that come with them are pretty complete.

You should have no problem reinstalling. If the chipsets are almost the same, you will probably be able to boot right up with your old drive. If they are different, a repair installation may get you booted without having to start from scratch with everything.

9. ericmoles

ericmoles Thread Starter

Thanks Elvandil,

So should I just by buy the same board, or would there be a benefit to choosing a new board, or even a new board and processor?

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

There is always a "benefit" to upgrading and getting better, faster, or more when you repair a machine. The only problem you may have from getting an upgraded board is that you may have to reinstall Windows. If you're willing to do that, then get the best you can afford or that you are willing to pay for.
    This is a chance to get a board that will support 7 or later and may save you buying a new machine someday.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/897906

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice