1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Motherboard fried? nO Post or Beeps

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ziggy1, Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ziggy1

Ziggy1 Thread Starter

My computer would not start up all of a sudden. The power light comes on but no sound is heard. I decided to replace the power supply but it does not seem to be any better, I pulled the battery and tessted it also, it seems OK.

I have pulled all connections and cards to reseat them.

I changed exchanged the IDE cables

The weird thing is this, if I leave one of the drives IDE connection unplugged, it will power up. What does that mean?

Regardless there is no POST or Beeps.

If a Power supply burns out can it damage the mother board?

Any Idea's???

2. EasY_TargeT

EasY_TargeT

When you boot up do the fans come one? If they do, do the caps lock test, press caps lock when your booting up, if the light comes on its not your motherboard. Unfortunately i was on the wrong side of that test today :(.

3. Ziggy1

Ziggy1 Thread Starter

When I boot up the Power supply fan comes on but not the CPU fan. The Video fan also comes on. If I unplug the power and plug it in, the CPU fan will work, but I can't power up like that, first I have to hold the power button in to kill the power and then start.

The caps test...I held down the Caps key and then powered up. the keyboard did light up until i let go of the power button (while still holding the caps). So does that mean the mother board is OK?

I just swapped video cards, and I pulled the sound card (left it out) and still nothing. I don't know what to check next???

4. Ziggy1

Ziggy1 Thread Starter

The system is a Packard bell 733 mhz,System Ram 256 MB ...256MB Ram Nvidia Forsa 5500 don't go by my specs list in my Signature..

5. EasY_TargeT

EasY_TargeT

Id check your power supply, if your cpu fan wont come on with your vid card plugged in. See if you can get a loaner off a friend. O, when you press the power button, tap th caps lock key a couple of times, to see if it comes on and off. Dont hold it down

6. qldit

qldit

Good Afternoon Gentlemen, may I sit in on this one, it sounds quite nasty.
    qldit.

7. EasY_TargeT

EasY_TargeT

umm, ok, please lend any advice you have.

8. Ziggy1

Ziggy1 Thread Starter

I just bought a new 450 Watt power supply, so I doubt that is the problem. Power is making it through. Like I said in the 1st post, if I unplug the IDE to the Hard drive but leave the power connected. When I powerup the PC, tI can feel and hear the hard drive spinning. The same with the CD drives, If I take only the IDE connection off, then I see it light up but the other one doesn't.

9. qldit

qldit

G'day Easy, no I just caught the 733, I expect it is a P3 but the "no processor fan running" is what caught my eye.
    I don't know the implication would be with that.
    It may be worth checking the fan to see if it is failed.

One other problem I had was an old gateway that had a similar problem with a battery that was flat, but that was the first time I had ever seen that.
    I wouldn't have thought it possible.

In that Pentium processors are usually so reliable and if the processor fan had failed I hate to think what may have been damaged.

That is why I was interested. I am probably wrong so carry on.
    tnx, qldit.

10. Ziggy1

Ziggy1 Thread Starter

the this is that the fan does work, when I plug in the computer, but not when trying to turn it on???

The battery is not dead, I'm sure a new one wouldn't hurt, but I tested it and it is just barely in the Green zone of my tester. I've had worse than that before and the computer still worked

11. EasY_TargeT

EasY_TargeT

Sorry what?
    The fan works when your computer is off?

12. qldit

qldit

Yes I just realised that the processor fan did run.
    The battery would surely be O.K. at that.
    So when you switch on, the system powers up normally with the LED on the front panel but the processor fan does not run.
    That is very odd.
    If you unplug and re-power the machine the processor fan will run.
    qldit.

13. qldit

qldit

I would think there may just be something odd about that PSU, sometimes they put altered units in some of these machines just to make things difficult.
    So reverting back to the original PSU may be an idea.

Further to that running the M/B in a minimal config with minimun devices would be an useful, that is all drives and ribbon cables disconnected from the M/B and all power removed from the drives. (only having the M/B powered)
    And all nonessential cards removed.
    The aim would be to try to see if the PSU fan can start normally and if some trace of operation can be made on the monitor or change in status of the LED.

This would preclude any odd power loss or improper feeds through failed components or devices.
    qldit.

14. Ziggy1

Ziggy1 Thread Starter

What I am trying to say is with everything connected as it should.....when I turn on the Power, only the power light comes on and nothing runs except the Power supply fan.

But if I disconnect the hard drive IDE (keep it powered) then when I power up, the hard drive will work???? The computer can't start though obviously because the IDE is not connected.

I can't do much more tonight, so keep the ideas coming, thanks to both of you for posting. I'll tear the computer apart and exchange everything if I have to. i just want to make sure the Mother board or CPU is not fried, because that is harder for me to test as I don't think I can swap the CPU with my spare parts...

15. Ziggy1

Ziggy1 Thread Starter

GLdit, my post# 14 was in response to your # 12 , I have to sign off now, I think your day is starting but mine is over (1:20 am here)..

g'day mate :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487379

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice