1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Motherboard fried ????

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kalisto01, Oct 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kalisto01

kalisto01 Thread Starter

A few weeks ago i started my desktop pc and had to play with the on switch to get it started. A few days later i openned it again but this time it never powered on . It was just dead . Thinking that it could be the on switch i openned the case and had to admit to myself that i couldn't see anything that would indicate what was wrong. I then realized that it could be the power supply. I decided to change the case and the power supply. After getting all i needed i tried this weekend to put everything in the new case. I'm now stuck with the following problems. At first i saw that i couldn't get any picture on my monitor. I switched the cable between the two outlest of the video card with no difference . I checked everything and in doing so i noticed another problem. My DVD player and my DVD burner are having the same problem. When the power supply is plugged in the tray opens. If i plug the data cable the trays don't opens and if i unplug them the trays are working again. I switched data cables and it's the same thing. I discovered that if i leave the data cables plugged in the two DVD player but i unplug the data cable from the motherboad the trays now works.I switched data cable and nothing is changed. I also tried it on IDE1 and 2 one the motherboard and again it's the same thing. For the hard drive it could have the same ploblem with the cable. Is the motherboard fried? Is there a way to be sure? Except for the new case and power supply everything is only two years old and i only use that machine a few days a month for records keeping ,the occasional game and for photos editing. I also never leave the machine on when i'm not using it.Compared to my laptop it's not used that much. The board in question is an MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum/SLI which is socket 939. It's not new but it's doing the job and also, i upgraded the processor recently to give it a little boost.so i would hope that there's nothing wrong with the board itself and i'm only doing something wrong. I sure hope somebody can clear this up for me.Thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/641043

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice