1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

motherboard front panel pins problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wardvdh, Nov 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wardvdh

wardvdh Thread Starter

hi evryone,
    i have an out of date hp pavilion t3540.be here that i'm trying to get back up.
    i'm busy changing the ram, cpu and motherboard.
    (4gb ddr3, amd phenom II x4, Asus M4A88T-M/USB3)
    I'm almost done but there are a few problems that i've run into.
    the pront panel pins are combined in one big plugin for the ac410-m motherboard. so i need to get them out of there and plug them in into smaller pins. but i can't find a pinout diagram for the old ac410-m motherboard so the wires are unknown to me.
    another problem is that i can't find a aux_in plugin on th motherboard so i guess it's if i just leave it as it is in the case.
    last but not least. the motherboard says it has integrated video and audio. So do i still have to put in my graphics card or can i just leave it out of there?

thanks ;)

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

You are just going to need to trace each front panel item (Power On Switch, Power LED, Reset Switch and HDD Activity LED) and repin them for the new board. Some large OEM's don't use a front panel Reset Switch so that's two wires less you have to trace.

If your new board has integrated video and audio you can leave the graphics card out. You might want to add it back later since a video card is generally better than onboard video, but I would get the machine up and running with the onboard video first.

3. wardvdh

wardvdh Thread Starter

Thanks. And yeah, i've only got 3 pairs of 2 wires of the front panel. I hope i can find the little pins in my local computer store.
    If someone can still find a pinout diagram for the ac410-m motherboard i'd be very thankful 'cause i can hardly see where the wires come from

4. replay

replay

is this the motherboard...is so u can read in tiny print what goes where

Attached Files:

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

You are likely to have problems locating the "little pins" (Molex kk connectors). I suggest you try a builder or repairer in your area who may have some. Also, if the new board has the Intel standard 2x5 front panel header on the motherboard, you may be able to cut the old connector if it's larger than a 2x5 connector and make a 2x5 connector from it if you can get the release tabs on the old connector to release the wires without breaking off the release tabs.

Finding the source of the front panel components is easy if you remove the front bezel from the chassis.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I would highly recommend getting a new case. HP cases are proprietary ie they are not going to match up correctly with the new mb's mounting and pci slots.

Have you checked the mounting and pci slot lineup?

In addition you do understand that you cannot use the existing install of windows correct? You must purchase a new copy of windows since oem type licenses live and die with the original hardware ie mb.

7. wardvdh

wardvdh Thread Starter

so do i neceserrily need to buy a new case? 'cause i'd rather not.
    what i've connected so far from the case is 2 usb 2.0 slots and a yellow audio plugin.
    leaving a aux_in, which does not seem to fit on the motherboard, a red 1394 plugin which also doesn't fit on the board and the front panel connectors which have 3 times 2 wires that are attatched together.

for the rest i've also got my new ram and old: power supply, SATA and optical drives

8. wardvdh

wardvdh Thread Starter

i've succesfully traced the wires and i've got
    -2 hd activity led wires (+&-)
    -2 powerswitch wires (or reset, but i guess powerswitch 'cause i've only one big button)
    -2 system power led wires.

so i'm i done if i just chande their pins and hook them up or is there still a problem with my case, hd, optical drive...??

9. win2kpro

win2kpro

If the motherboard fits the chassis, the motherboard stand-offs align with the board and the I/O connectors align with the I/O shield you should be ok.

10. wardvdh

wardvdh Thread Starter

so i drove to my pc hardware store, asked for the molex kk connectors and he gave me a free set. (cause you can't buy it new he said).
    at home, i repinned my cables and even added a reset switch. and i alligned teh connectors to my motherboard.
    Now finally i think i'm done and my pc is ready! (yeaaah! :p )
    i've not installed any PCI cards, but thats ok i guess??
    i'll try to boot up my pc tomorrow and hope for success!

thanks evrybody :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025851

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice