1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Motherboard/Graphics Card issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Username224, Dec 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Username224

Username224 Thread Starter

Whenever my CPU gets moved or hit slightly my Graphics card stops working. I noticed the fan would turn off and I lose the signal to my monitor. It works fine sitting on its side but whenever I secure it and move my entire PC it stops working again. I've tried both slots on my MB with the same result.

My question, how can I tell if its my MB or GFX card? Or both?

2. Megabite

Megabite

Howdy

Is this a desktop?

3. Username224

Yes it is. Its almost a year old. I put it together myself. Havent had any problems till now.

4. Megabite

Megabite

No sure what your saying.....works on its side????

You move the PC when it is running??

5. Username224

I was playing a game the other night, everything was running normally. My monitor suddenly lost a signal and I was unable to fix it that night. I took my CPU down so I could take a look inside (on its side) and found that when powered on my Graphics Card's fan was not moving. I tried applying a little pressure thinking that it wasn't in all the way. I thought that fixed it, but when I put everything back together and moved it back to its spot on my desk it wasn't working again.

I put it back on its side when it was working before and turned everything on. It works fine doing this. I left it running to see if it would crash again. While I waited I accidently dropped my phone on the case and the monitor lost its signal again. I opened my case up again and saw that the Graphics card fan had stopped running like before.

Basically what I'm saying is, I can't move my computer off the floor without it losing any connection to my monitor. I'm trying to figure out what the problem is...

I don't really know how else to explain it.

6. Megabite

Megabite

OK yea I understand now......sounds like something is loose....try checking the power cable to the video card if it has one......also check to see that the Video slot or video card where it slots in isn't damaged in anyway.....

How old is the Video card?

7. Username224

I bought it last January, so almost a year old.

The power cables are snug.

The slot is rests in seems fine. I have room for two Video Cards and have tried both slots, with the same result.

8. Megabite

Megabite

Well the perfect test would be to try another Video card (Any) and see if it does the same thing....but does sound like something is loose inside the PC somewhere and knocking the PC causes the problem. Doesn't have to be the video card area.

9. Username224

I'll give it a try tomorrow. All I have is an ancient ATI RADEON 9550 from an old PC I salvaged.

Checked up on some reviews for the motherboard I have and some people were complaining about defective PCI slots burning out their video cards. Could this be a possibility?

10. Megabite

Megabite

Could be......maybe something on the Motherboard or slots....

11. Username224

I've also noticed that if I screw in my card it wont work at all. I have to physically push the card up while its in the slot. I'm assuming that is why it wont work standing up. Gravity is making it fall a little out of the MB.

I tried my old Graphics card and it wouldn't fit. I tried taking my roommate's card outta his pc and it wouldn't fit either.

Any suggestions without me having to splurge on a new card? If possible I'd like to only have to replace one thing, rather than buying a new card and finding out I need a new motherboard.

Would pictures help at all?

12. Megabite

Megabite

It maybe to do with the slots on the Motherboard.........have you blown them out with compressed air.

13. Username224

I blew both of them out with air. No change. I did notice one of the slots seemed to be coming off the motherboard. The other one seemed secure. They have both worked when I have left my pc on its side running. I bought a Graphics card and tried it in both slots. It didn't work in either. :eek:

I'm starting to think I should just rebuild. :(

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!