1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

motherboard/hard drive not compatble??? computer restarts at windows xp loading scree

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by keltix, Nov 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. keltix

keltix Thread Starter

A while ago, my computer started making some wierd beeps and would not start. The problem was exactly the same as this guys: (cant post link, add "http:")

//forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?p=597889#post597889

So, I concluded that my motherboard was faulty. My computer is an old HP that should still work.
    I bought a motherboard (P25G PCChips) from newegg to replace the faulty one. Its compatible with the CPU and memory and everything. So when I go to turn it on...it starts up to the black screen and reads the CPU and says that something is wrong and that I should goto the BIOS and change something. I dont specify the "something" because after i goto the BIOS and change somethings around, then restart it fixes THAT. It seems that everything is going OK and contiues to load, but as soon as it gets to the WINDOWS XP loading screen it restarts. Its very frustrating and I dont know what to do. It gvies and endless loop that the only way to stop is to mess around with the BIOS.

Ive tried it with two different HDDs, both HP oems, same thing. I dont know what it could be.

2. Sponsor

3. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

OK first things first. Is this your old drive? Does it still have the old system on it? If so your going to have to either get another drive and use it as a secondary to get your personal files off of it or reformat it and load all the motherboard drivers and setup the BIOS and then reinstall windows. Hopefully this is the case and this is easy to solve.

4. keltix

keltix Thread Starter

-Yes it is the old drive with the old system.
    -I can settle without the personal files in the drive, so i can just reformat it and save me some steps.
    -I have never built a comp. so i dont know how to "load the driver and setup the BIOS"***
    -And the problem: the drive comes with XP already installed in it, so i dont have a windows XP CD to install....bad eh (its those HP that to reformat you have to do SYSTEM RECOVERY)

5. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

Do you have a friend with a computer?

6. keltix

keltix Thread Starter

depends, what for?

7. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

Either you need to buy a new hard drive to use as a new master boot drive and then hook up the drive you have now as a secondary drive and copy your files off of it. Or you can borrow a friends computer and do it on that. Do you know the connection type of the hard drive? For instance is it a SATA drive or a IDE drive?

8. keltix

keltix Thread Starter

-By "new HDD", do you mean a different one or "new" one?
    -The old drive is an IDE, 133 connection i think.
    -but why does it just restart at the windows XP screen, is it cus it doesnt have the drivers?

9. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

It starts up the old system but when it gets to your old drivers from your old system it gets confused and stalls. I meant a different hard drive to use to copy your personal files onto. You can have 2 drives. This is a common mistake don't worry it's easy to fix. You may not have had the luxury of copying these files before I can understand. Your new machine can not boot your old system. There is no way to go around it. You're going to have to copy everything from that system to a new drive. Either one you can buy ATA/IDE hard drives are very cheap. Just buy a 40 GB or like I said you can borrow a friends computer to do this.

10. wedor

wedor

You must have missed this part

"-I can settle without the personal files in the drive, so i can just reformat it and save me some steps."

no need for another system or drive.

11. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

I did LOL I thought you said you needed them. Yes you can reformat it and everything will be fine. LOL I'm losing it.

12. keltix

keltix Thread Starter

heh

"And the problem: the drive comes with XP already installed in it, so i dont have a windows XP CD to install....bad eh (its those HP that to reformat you have to do SYSTEM RECOVERY)"

how do you reformat an HP hdd...w/o an XP cd...

13. wedor

wedor

My turn to miss reading something here, you are having problems because your XP installation is looking for different hardware, you can have a chipset that is compatible with the CPU and RAM but if it is different than the original the system will not run correctly (as you have already found out).

A restore will bring more of the same because it is looking for HP hardware and there is none.

14. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

OK a little tougher than I thought. That's a hard one because they setup their recovery disks with their BIOSes on their disks and that will not work with your new motherboard. Is it home or professional?

15. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

I got to go to bed. I think yor best bet is to buy a copy of XP Home Edition. It's around $80 It is Christmas shopping season and it's probably pretty cheap about right now.

16. keltix

keltix Thread Starter

-Its Home
    -Last time i had to reformat a compaq hdd on my laptop, they made me type in a whole bunch of things on the screen that looks like a command prompt.
    -I can get to the recovery console on the old hdd, but i dont know what to type in..im not good with command prompt/ms-dos?

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/418762

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice