1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Motherboard/Hard drive problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GrandPops, Mar 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandPops

GrandPops Thread Starter

I Have about a 3+/- year old Compaq
    Win XP Home SP1
    AMD Athlon XP 1600+
    Maxtor 40GB Hard drive (original)
    MSI motherboard [(new) reason; apon turning on the system would get "System board failure" message nothing else]
    The hard drive is seen in the BIOS and in the first post screen but will not boot. I hooked up one of my old hard drives with 98SE on it and booted right up. Slaved the old hard drive off the 98SE hard drive. Both show in BIOS and post but only the 98SE shows in "My Computer"
    Have yet to check old motherboard with 98SE hard drive to see if it is bad or the hard drive caused the problem.
    What are the chances that the motherboard took out the hard drive or vise versa?
    Everything was original before I changed the motherboard.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    GrandPops

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

It's possible. but more likely that you need to do a repair install so that the old XP system ( I guess? ) can start up on the new board. . . what message do you get when you try to start it?

wrs

3. GrandPops

GrandPops Thread Starter

It goes through the first 2 post screens and then just hangs at the flashing currsor in the upper left corner. Let it set there for almost 10 minutes and nothing.
    This is one of those with the restore partition. No restore disks and no XP disk.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/341713

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice