1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Motherboard/HD replacement help please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xxfree2romexx, Dec 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xxfree2romexx

xxfree2romexx Thread Starter

Hello Everyone,

I am taking advantage of Christmas lol and gonna treat myself to some sort of upgrade to my PC ... Problem is I have no clue how to tell which part needs it the most >< my Motherboard or Hard drive, and if i should even bother if they are not broke. Like they say "If it ain't broke leave it alone" lol. My Pc is a HP Pavilion a350y, today i saw a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 750GB Hard Drive - 7200, 16MB, Serial ATA-300 for 89$

I currently have a ST-3120022A (Barracuda 7200.7 120GB, Ultra ATA/100)

I have no clue on differance between Ultra Ata/100, and Serial Ata-300 or whats even compatible or what i need to look for :(.

My motherboard is currently a ASUS P4SD-LA which i think HP calls it a Yale-UL6E. Heres the link i found for more specs: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00041640&lc=en&cc=us&man_lang=zh-hant&dlc=&product=384989&printable=no

Any help would be appreciated to give me a clue on how severly outdated these are and if they could surely use a upgrade or are they ok for another year or two^^ . One question i had is is there a way to move everything from 1 HD to a new one or will i have to reinstall everything including OS. And will i have to do the same with a new MB? Well thank you again!

2. Sponsor

3. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

The specs of the motherboard tell me the system if a few years old at least.
    It uses DDR(1) memory and has an AGP slot for a video card. Both technologies are way past their prime and would be a waste of money to upgrade really.

Also, according to the specs, the motherboard does not support SATA drives so you would be limited to IDE (Ultra ATA) drives only.

IDE / Ultra ATA is old technology which used a wide gray cable to connect the drives to the motherboard. SATA came out more recently and uses a smaller cable with a supposedly higher data throughput for faster performance.

What CPU is currently in the PC and how much ram do you have installed?
    What version of Windows are you using?
    What do you use the PC for mainly?
    Are you running out of space on the current hard drive?

Generally on a system that old, especially from a big name manufacturer (which usually means limited upgradability) I recommend saving your money for a new system.

4. xxfree2romexx

I copied this from my Everest program about the cpu, :
    CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 2600 MHz (13 x 200)
    Im using Windows XP SP2 and i mainly use the pc for digital imaging and gaming alot :). If i waited and purchased another pc, do most now days come with the SATA drives or will that be something i would have to watch for? And is it possible to move my programs from 1 to the other pc or will i have to reinstall everything?

Thank you again for everything!

5. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Are you using a CRT monitor at the moment? The one thing that would be worth spending money on would be a nice new 22-24" LCD widescreen monitor. :)
    Like this one: http://www.buy.com/prod/samsung-223...1-dc-5ms-1680-x-1050/q/loc/101/209316327.html

The monitor can always be used with a new system later.

If you do get a new system, you will most likely need to reinstall all the games and applications since they need to be "registered" in the registry file of whatever Windows OS the new system comes with.

Most new systems in the past year or two come by default with SATA hard drives. They also usually have at least one IDE connector on the motherboard which will allow you to connect two older Ultra ATA drives to the system. (check system specs to be sure) You can therefore pull the old HD out of the old system and plug it into the new system to use as a slave/backup HD and copy your picture/video/data files over directly.

Or another option would be to put the old HD into an external HD case for use as a backup/portable drive.

6. xxfree2romexx

Hmm i see, well the moniter is a nice idea i may as well look into that as an option.. Thanks for all your help ! (y)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/774935

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice