motherboard help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

nightcrawler2131

i wanted to buy a new motherboard for my dimension 2400 its processor int4 is 2.53 and my old motherboard is a int4 2.4. those that matter at all? thank you

Do you mean it has a Intel Pentium 4 @2.53GHz, and the old one has a Intel Pentium 4 @2.4GHz?

If this is the case
-You will see very little performance increase
-From what I can tell video is onboard, so you may need to buy a new video card (If new motherboard doesn't have onboard video)
Make sure the RAM is the same (your current motherboard has DDR at 266MHz)

Unless you are having problems with the current Motherboard, don't waste your time, you will not get much performance increase for the work. Consider putting in two RAM sticks (512MB at 266MHz, and 256MB at 266MHz, for the max 1GB the board can achieve)

You don't even want to think about upgrading a motherboard in a Dell other than if it is direct replacement board for the 2400.

For a new non-Dell board here are some of the changes you will have to make. #1-The Dell I/O shield is part of the case and you won't be able to install the I/O shield for the new motherboard without extensive modification. #2-Dell uses proprietary passive cooling for their processors. To install a board with active cooling requires modifications, #3-The Dell front panel pinout is proprietary. If you change boards using the same case, you will have to do some major front panel wiring changes.

Lastly, as previously stated you will see no improvement what soever going from 2.4GHz. processor to a 2.53GHz processor.

*nods at win2kpro
Seem's very weird, just upgrade the memory and you will see much more improvements with minimal work.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online