1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Motherboard I/O Speed - what to look for?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by raytrace, Feb 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. raytrace

raytrace Thread Starter

I am trying to select a motherboard primarily for fast I/O operations. Mainly, what I am interested in is the speed at which the files are copied to/from the HDD, USB drives etc.

I have noticed that it takes noticeably longer on some machines, with same the USB drive and port type (USB 2.0). It was surprising to see a much older machine, with lesser RAM perform much better. The difference was that older machine was based on an Intel board customized locally. Whereas the "better" machine (which was slower in copying operations) was a factory built Dell machine for home office use.

So, what are the specs that I'm supposed to look for in a motherboard for to obtain higher speeds for such operations ?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I think the difference in file transfer speed has more to do with AV scanning than it does with a mb. A mech hard disk is going to be limited by the disk speed rather than the mb.

3. raytrace

raytrace Thread Starter

Like I mentioned, I'm comparing the exactly the same operation on different PCs.
    HDD to USB copy, same files, same OS, etc.

4. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Are the machines you are using to compare 100% identical other than the motherboard? That includes all installed software? If they aren't, then it would be hard to categorically say it is the motherboard causing the reduced transfer speed, there are many many factors that affect it and I would suggest the motherboard itself is probably one of least likely.

5. raytrace

raytrace Thread Starter

Yes, all other variables were almost identical.
    In fact, the motherboard on the machine performing better copying operations had lower RAM and an slower processor. Go figure.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you are buying a new computer then you will want one with an Intel chipset and Intel USB 3.0 ports, the newer and the more higher end the chipset the better; Intel based boards tend to be the most reliable and the fastest. Also, business class models tend to perform better than home user models and also have cleaner installs for pre-loaded junk.

7. raytrace

raytrace Thread Starter

Thanks Triple6.
    Which Intel chipset (model no. etc) do you think is better suited for my needs ?

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Q97 or H97 are the latest.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142632

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice