1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

motherboard ide

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by woodall, Sep 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. woodall

woodall Thread Starter

Please help. I have just install a new hard drive (40GB Ultra ATA/100 Seagate) and it keeps telling me "No fixed disk Present". I ran the Seagate Bootable disk Disk Wizard and at the end it said Drive C: and informed me to Press Ctrl, Alt, Delete to restart my computer. Did that. Then it still gave me a message "Bootdisk Fail Insert system disk". I don't know where to go from here. Will not Fdisk, I even went in to BIOS and set it to AUTO and even Configured the settings manually. Still nothing works. Could it be the IDE on the Motherboard and can I just replace it instead of the whole motherboard? This computer has not been used very often, it was my mothers and she hardly ever got on the internet, it just stoped working and she went out and bought another one. It's about 4yrs old, not for sure what motherboard it has. Had WIN98...Anyway, need some help. Thanks

2. TOF

TOF

3. woodall

woodall Thread Starter

4. batharoy

batharoy

That error message, "Bootdisk Fail Insert system disk" means that it can't
    find the operating system. Did you re-install windows?

5. woodall

woodall Thread Starter

No! When I try to install from the A: I change the Drive to D: I type "WIN98 setup" but get error message " Wrong Command" or something to that fact. How can I set up using the CD-ROM? I used the command "DIR" and it shows everything but I just cannot install it?

6. batharoy

batharoy

you should be able to type " setup " hit enter and it will take over.
    You don't need to change to a different directory.

7. cavtek

cavtek

hi woodall,looks like you got a bad hd. go to this site and download a new 98 bootdisk just to be sure the one your using isnt damaged. http://www.bootdisk.com/
    at the A: prompt type.. fdisk..and set your partitions.
    if it wont do that better get another drive. if it will, then after partitioning. reboot to an A: prompt and type... FORMAT C: and name your drive.
    then reboot to the A: prompt and type C:\ and then hit the enter key and type SCANDISK . once the scan is done place your 98 install cd into your cd rom and reboot with cd rom support and type D:\Setup and then enter (the "S" is a capital and the etup is lower case). win98 should start to load... hope this helps....good luck...

8. saikee

saikee

It looks simple to me. The hard disk has no operating system and of course it can't boot. There is nothing wrong with it.

To boot from CD one need to alter the booting sequence in the BIOS so that CD rom boots ahead of hard disk.

9. cavtek

cavtek

:D

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    "Will not Fdisk, I even went in to BIOS and set it to AUTO and even Configured the settings manually. Still nothing works."

Thats good, but does the drive actually show up in the BIOS or POST?

11. saikee

saikee

Triple6

Just a point of interest.

If he can set the device to auto and configure it manually does this is not enough to tell us the BIOS has found the drive?

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    No, it means he can enter the BIOS and set an option to AUTO or USER - the drive does not need to be recognised for any of this happen.

13. woodall

woodall Thread Starter

Okay Guys, By the way I'm not a "He" I am a lady!!! Ha! Ha! Well Lets start over.
    My problem is: I cannot get the hard drive to get reconized..anywhere.. only when I run the Seagate Disk Wizard. "I Think!" I get all the way through it, restart my computer, then it gives me "Primary Master Hard Disk Fail". Okay, then I insert my boot disk, then Type at prompt A:/Setup, Nothing happens. It gives me "Abort, Retry, Fail". I did download a new disk at Bootdisk.com but it wouldn't let me open it after I put it on a floppy It gave me "Cannot boot in DOS" or something to that fact. So how do I boot from the new floppy disk!!! I'll try to boot from cd tonight and let you know if I succeed with it. Also If I try the auto detect it sets there forever tring to find it. How long should it take? More than 10 minutes? Thanks :confused:

14. slink9

slink9

The autodetect should be relatively immediate. If the BIOS can't even see it the drive may be too large for the older version BIOS. Have you tried loading a drive overlay program? It should have come on the floppy with the drive.
    If the disk wizard can see it the drive should be fine. It will probably work after an overlay has been loaded in memory.

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Your motherboard may not support a 40GB hard drive. Do you know what motherboard you have or if its a Brand name system its model number?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275946

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice