1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

motherboard install

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jimbo1948, Feb 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jimbo1948

jimbo1948 Thread Starter

I just installed a new motherboard SOYO SY-7VCA-E,and new CPU PIII 800MHz/133 socket 370 in an older Gateway 2000 that I had purchased, when I boot up the case fan runs,and power light comes on, no video on monitor, and no lights on keyboard. The video card is a Voodoo 2000PCI. I get buzzes, and clicks, then everything quits, help. 1-15-03 the jumper is set for retain CMOS data, I took the motherboard out of the case & isolated it, there is no extra ram installed, it runs fo 35 seconds then shuts down.

2. n2gun

n2gun

First thing to check is jumper to clear the bios. Some boards are shipped with it set to clear bios and need to be moved. Check it in your maual.

Also try reseat the memory.

You may want to try it out of the case. Set it on a piece of cardboard. It may be that one of the standoffs is shorting it to the case.

3. Richardhtml

Richardhtml

I had ran into a error such as that with mixed RAM try using one DIMM at a time. My problem was with 2 sticks of Rambus Ram same size but different manufatures.
    Richardhtml

4. Rodney D

Rodney D

Greetings.

It sounds similar to a problem I had when I put together a new system recently.

I would turn on the system, it would go through a few seconds of bootup (POST) and then freeze, only mine emmitted a looping long beep letting me know there was a problem. The fan worked, power was applied, and I got no video on screen.

What I had to do was reseat the RAM module. I thought it was in well before but following a suggestion I got on this board I took off the board, hooked up the bare components with the motherboard resting on a non-conductive surface, supported the area directly behind the RAM slot I wanted to use and gave the chip a more forceful, yet steady push. The module went down in there just a little bit further and when I next turned on my system it worked. I'm no technician (far from it) but it' an easy thing to do so you may want to consider it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118612

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice