Motherboard is toast, replacing with a different model

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

CFLager

My 6 year old mobo died while booting the other day. I have decided to replace it with a different brand.
Will W10 boot and run decently to install drivers and update license?

Oddba11

Jim
Ive not performed hardware swaps with Win10. Win7 would usually work. Having said that, a fresh install is typically recommended to prevent future conflicts and to ensure all of the drivers and software from the old hardware aren't cluttering the system. Assuming this is a home built PC and not an OEM, the Lic update should be pretty straight forward. If it's an OEM, you will need a new Lic.

CFLager

Ive not performed hardware swaps with Win10. Win7 would usually work. Having said that, a fresh install is typically recommended to prevent future conflicts and to ensure all of the drivers and software from the old hardware aren't cluttering the system. Assuming this is a home built PC and not an OEM, the Lic update should be pretty straight forward. If it's an OEM, you will need a new Lic.
It's home built. Mobo went doa before I had a backup. CPU and RAM are to be reused. I just want to be able to boot up and move all of my email, documents to another drive and do a fresh install.
Thanks for the reply.

crjdriver

Just did this a few days ago for my wife's system. Since you are not able to follow the guide at the top of the forum for doing just this task, it may work and it may not work. If you just want to move data files, that is very simple. Pull the drive and connect it to a working system. Copy whatever you want. Once you have at least two copies of the data files, clean install windows. Now copy the files back.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online