1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Motherboard Issue?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Piringa, Jan 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Piringa

Piringa Thread Starter

I have some old ****** pc I dont know what type of motherboard it has but it has an American Megatrends bios. Anyway I loaded the OS (98) with my other pc on the HD then I put the HD in the crappy pc which would always crash while installation. After I installed the os on the hd with the other pc I put it in the crappy pc but now it crashes at the win98 boot screen not the logon screen. And sometimes it will not even scan the HD and other drives. Other times it will not even show the video cards bios . Is it the MOBO??

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    ok here it goes. It could be:
    motherboard, ram, cpu, powersupply, videocard, or anything else you have in your computer. What errors are you getting, what exactly is happening, and what all do you have in your computer? Try removing one card at a time, or only runing with one piece of ram if you have more then one. Then try to reinstall windows 98 if the problem consistently shows up during the installation. It seems like its either the mobo or the powersupply though, is it possible to try another poersupply?

3. mtbird

mtbird

You are installing an OS on a HD in a different computer that has different hardware configurations. Then you pull it out and put it into another computer with hardware of it's own. It is going to have conflicts because of this.
    You can possibly bypass this by going into your registry and deleting the ENUM folder. This is where the those configurations are stored and it will be recreated once you reboot.
    Go to start>run. Type in regedit. Navigate to ....
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    ENUM
    Right Click on this folder and hit delete. Reboot. It will then find and install all your hardware. Have your drivers handy, because you will have to reinstall those as well.

Hope this helps.

Debe

4. codexaenir

codexaenir

If you are indeed installing Windows on one machine, and then pulling the hard drive and installing on another... it won't work. The drivers and settings are different for each PC. I dont see why it isnt possible to install windows natively on the "******" pc, so try that...

And about the crashes, its most likely be the operating system. Try reinstalling windows and then see us for possible problems.

5. Piringa

Piringa Thread Starter

Well the main problem is that I cannot install the win98 os on the HD through the ***** pc I get run32.dll erros and kernell.dll erros they always com up after like 5 minutes or when its half way installing win98. These errors vary in the names but they always happen at the same time around 5 minutes into the installation.

I already installed win98 on the HD using my new computer and I put the HD in the old ***** pc and it worked, untill I got pissed cuzz win98 was only showing 2 gyg's on the HD when it is a 20 gyg. I used fdisk to format and I let it do everything I did not mess with the settings when partitioning, this was a while back.

I reformated to try to repartition to be able to use all 20 gyg's on the HD and this is when I ran into trouble I couldnt reinstall win98 on the ***** pc so I tried it MORON STYLE which is to use another pc to install the os then bring the hd to the old pc but its not working this time.

I installed win98 and brought the hd to the old pc, it boots like normal scans memory and drives then does the beep and goes to the win98 boot screen, (the one that looks like its in 16 colors) it never gets to the log on screen.

Im gonna try removing that registry key by putting the drive in the new pc and deleting the stuff shuting down and taking out the drive and puting it on the old pc.

6. Rockn

Rockn

The MORON APPROACH doesn't really seem to be doing the trick and will most likely crash every time you start the crappy PC. The reason is that the OS you installed on the other PC is set up to run on that hardware with drivers specific to that PC. Once the OS tries to load the drivers it will without exception fail to start if there is a driver mismatch for say and IDE controller that is a legacy type device. You also need to configure the BIOS in the crappy PC for the new hard drive oyu are attempting to install. There is also a possibility that the BIOS will not even support a drive that large. Another thing you could try is to go into device manager while the hard drive is in the PC i was set up on, remove every device listed, shut down and install the hard drive in the crappy PC.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114182

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice