1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Motherboard issues? or PSU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bassamnz, Dec 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bassamnz

bassamnz Thread Starter

So my PC has been stutturing for a while. As in when i play games or am watching a movie it literally stutters. like say a charater is saying hello. It would slow down and sound and appear like He-e-e-e-ello

Then like a week ago, it refused to start up. I thought it was a graphics card issue, so I replaced it. It started up fine.

Then Yesterday it refused to start up again. I did the turn it off and on again thing and unplugged the power etc.

Now it powers up fine. The fans up, the dvd drives open and close. But it doesnt boot at all. I just see a blank screen the whole time.

I disconnected all the RAM sticks and tried to turn it on. Same thing. THERE ARE NO BEEPS. No beeps = motherboard fried right?

Is my new graphics card fried too?

What should I do now?

2. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

The easiest component to test is the power supply, and since that's a high failure rate piece of hardware, that's where I would start. Anyone who works on their own computer needs a power supply tester or a known-good spare PSU to test for failures. The tester is a lot cheaper than having a spare power supply sitting around. Any of these testers, are OK except for the Startech.

If the PSU is good, than you have a bad motherboard, and the other components are probably OK. If the PSU tests bad, then you can't really tell the state of the rest of the hardware until you connect a new power supply. It's certainly possible to have a failed power supply which has damaged other components in the computer, but it doesn't happen very often, and it's usually a pretty spectacular PSU failure involved. Smoke, flames, that sort of thing.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030633

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice