Motherboard issues?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Lizwoo

So I'm starting to think that my motherboard might not have been installed properly. A few months ago my computer started to freeze randomly. The time that it took from boot up to freeze started to gradually decrease until it started to freeze during booting. On top of that before loading windows I'd recieve a message saying that overclocking failed despite the fact that my computer was not overclocked at all. I reformatted the hard drive and that actually fixed the issue for a few weeks and then it all started all over again. I went to go reformat me hard drive tonight and my computer frooze during the installation of windows. I reset and booted from CD again to have it feeze again but before the reformatting and installation. Is this actually my motherboard? (I'm a bit of a noob, so excuse me if i sound silly.) How are would it be for me to actually resolve this issue for good?

Things I would look at. Power supply. Memory, and CMOS battery. The CMOS battery would be the cheapest, about $3 but it wouldn't cause boot issues other than the "overclocking failed" message.

Ram can and will screw up a windows install and cause boot problems. A PSU can cause many problems including boot issues.

Lizwoo

I've checked the power supply (plugged it all into another power supply and had it freeze) and the RAM (ran a RAM test and it came back clean). I've pretty much narrowed it down to the HD or motherboard. I had thought that it was the HD until tonight when I had issues booting from CD.

Freeze during installation of XP can be cd itself and cd drive as well as hard drive.

Lizwoo

I've reformatted and reinstalled windows many time before and not had an issue until this time. I went back and tried to do it again and couldn't get it to actually boot from CD. It autorecognized that fact that I had a DVD/CD drive, but then nothing even though it was set up in BIOS to boot from that drive.

crjdriver

This is a pretty common problem with asus boards. Check the asus web site for any bios updates that address this issue. Asus has released many updates for various boards to correct this problem [or attempt to correct it]

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts