1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Motherboard Issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Chico1984, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chico1984

Chico1984 Thread Starter

I'm working on a Gateway, Motherboard 831GM. Windows XP Media Center (2004)

Okay, here's the issue. I boot up the machine, and I was getting Windows cannot find file error, so I did a system recovery. I would shut down the computer for a few hours, and when I would bring it up, Windows would give me the same file not found error, despite the fact that I had rebooted and been able to get into Windows hours earlier. I finally decided that the recovery partition was bad, and installed from a CD. Finally, the errors go away, but now I am getting errors that I think are caused by the mobo.

Okay, so here's my tests I have run (btw, Windows installed and its a clean copy, and there's no viruses, I already checked).
    I turned it on after letting it sit for 3 hrs, and it said, "No bootable disk found Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete to reboot" I do, and I can go right into Windows.
    This morning, I boot it up after having it off for 9 hrs, and this time, I go into BIOS first, and just look through settings for 30 to 40 seconds, and I exit and continue booting (no changes were made), and it works great. I shut it down for another 3 hours, and it gives me a keyboard not found error, and it tries to load Windows, but gets a BSOD and reboots so I shut it down and unplug / plug in the keyboard, and it loads fine - except, the date and time in BIOS reset? This happened last night, so I put in a new battery, thinking it would work and I see that it didn't.

Someone told me that after the mobo gets "cold" that these issues arise and usually go away if you wait a minute or so to boot (the reason I went into BIOS this morning, to allow the mobo to warm up). I have also heard it could be a power supply issue.

I'm kinda lost at this point. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It could be the power supply, have you tried connecting another one and redoing the Windows installation and then retesting the system?

3. Chico1984

Chico1984 Thread Starter

I will have to give that a try, but I will need to consult with the customer first, since I don't have a power supply hanging around.

So tonight, I booted it up, and there is a 5 second count that it does if you want to re-load the recovery partition, and it froze around 2 second count, which does sound like a power issue (plus its the cheaper of the two to replace). I will have to let you know the results if the customer wants me to replace the power supply or just deal with the power on, power off, then reboot.

However, if this problem is not fixed, I assume it will probably get worse anyway, since that's usually the case.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758195

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice