1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Motherboard not accepting pc133 memory

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MAndrie, Feb 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MAndrie

MAndrie Thread Starter

I have an ABIT VL6 motherboard. The manufacturer website shows this motherboard as being able to handle 1.5GB pc 133 RAM (3 slots). I currently have a 128MB pc100 RAM chip. I purchased (2) 256MB pc133 RAM chips. The motherboard won't recognize either/both. when I have only the pc133 speed RAM chips in and boot the system, the computer gives me repeated beeps and won't boot up. It does the same thing when I have either/both combined with the pc100 RAM chip.

What do I need to do so the computer accepts either pc133 RAM or both pc100 and pc133.

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

Not all PC133 SDRAM is the same.

It sounds like your board may have a problem with high density memory.

Put one pc133 stick in....if it gives errors/doesnt boot the easist fix is to return the memory and either try lower density memory or a stick of memory from a different manufacturer(especially if you bought cheap memory to begin with.....)

3. MAndrie

MAndrie Thread Starter

I know it doesn't like the one stick of pc133 RAM. The manufacturere is Kingston. How do I find out the density that was suggested in the above reply? What are the different density levels of pc133 RAM in comparison to pc100 RAM?

4. Jtoast

Jtoast

http://www.crucial.com/library/mb_vs_mb.asp

read the last 2 or 3 paragraphs.

By density i mean the number and size of the memory chips actually on the memory module...for example for your machine crucial.com mentions modules with densities of 32x64 and also 32x72 both of which are 256MB modules.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Hard to imagine it won't accept a 256mb module. I have been bit by the difference between registered and non-registered SDRAM, some MB's won't run with registered RAM. I don't know if this is your problem, but I thought it might be worth a mention.

6. Jtoast

Jtoast

Good point Johnwill...

MAndrie,

You can tell if you have registered SDRAM by looking at one of the modules . If it has one or more small chips mounted horizontally, you have registered memory. If not, you have unbuffered memory.

You cannot mix registered with non registered memory and, as johnwill said, your motherboard must be able to support registered memory.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118366

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice