Motherboard not recognizing Video Card

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Lyenae

I am having problems with my computer recognizing my video card and think it's motherboard related.

I currently/was using a Xtacy Ge2ti 64mb ddr AGP video card with PcChips 922LR motherboard (Intel 2.4ghz, 512mg ddr ram, 350w powersupply) with no problems.

I purchased a Palit Ge4ti 4200 8x agp 128mb ddr video card and tried to install it. But the monitor says it gets no signal.

I tried seating and reseating the Palit card about 10 times with no success. When seated, the fan on the video card is working, so it is getting power.

I took the Palit card and put it in my old computer (Biostar M6tba, P3-500mhz, agp2x), and the Palit card was working with no problems at all. The Ge2ti also works in the old computer with no problems. I'm using the same monitor for both computers.

I tried to modify the AGP selector from 4x to 2x, but it didn't change anything. I do not have any information about what drive current the card may require, so I did not try to change it.

I attempted to flash the bios, but the utility provided on the PCchips site (the ami bios flash utility) was saying that there was a missing file (I had the rom on the diskette too, maybe my parameters were wrong, i just ran the program from dos boot disk.) I also tried to use the AMI bios utility from AMI website, but it said that the motherboard wasn't flashable.

Im kinda exhausted after fiddling with the bios for more then 4 hours, not sure if it's gonna help if a 4 year old motherboard can recognize the video card but a 1 year old motherboard can't. I don't have a pc speaker on this new computer case, so im not hearing the beeps, maybe that'll help, dunno...

Im running out of ideas...

Can you tell me what possible solutions I could try to get the video card to work? I can supply more information if necessary

Thank you.

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
Did you uninstall video adapter drivers from the computer that you took Xtacy out of and put Palit into---and, did you run the new video driver setup.exe or whatever file starts the install, and then go into Display, Settings, Adapter... Change to Standard PCI Graphics Adapter, reboot, go into Display again, Settings, Adapter, Change... here is where it gets tricky- you have to select "search for a better driver.. etc"

it will detect the new card, point it to the folder the video drivers installed TO (you have to watch the path when you run the setup.exe)

Lyenae

Ge2ti and Ge4ti both use the same driver set.

Anyways, the problem is before Windows. I cannot get a signal from the video card to the monitor.

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
I think the .vxd's are failing to initialize....can you do a bootlog and see exactly what is hanging? It must be in the bootup...yes, before Windows, in POST limbo....

EDIT- Do you have a VIA chipset on your board?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online