1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Motherboard not working - Fix or Replace?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by damn424, Feb 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. damn424

damn424 Thread Starter

Hello guys, I assembled my desktop three years back with I5 650 processor - Socket LGA1156 | 4 GB DDR3 RAM | Intel DH55TC Motherboard. Recently I started having issues with my motherboard and system does not start. When i gave it for service, I was told that I need to change the motherboard which would cost around 8-10K. I was also suggested that Motherboard plus Fourth Gen Intel processor costs around 15K and its better to get a new one as the I5 650 is relatively old which might stop working soon.

Appreciate any suggestion.

Thanks in advance.

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    CPUs aren't likely to fail on their own. Price a replacement motherboard vs a new motherboard/cpu/RAM and decide for yourself.

As you built the PC the first time, you can save money by doing it yourself again.

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Are you talking 8,000 to 10,000 Dollars or are you referring to some other currency?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

CPUs almost never fail unless you overclock/overvolt them OR physically damage them during install.

I do agree that putting money into a socket 1156 [which is obsolete] is not cost effective. If you find a board for just a few $, then great. If you have to pay a premium for the board, then no; go with a modern mb and cpu.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I think he means Burmese kyat however that is just a guess on my part.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142695

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice