Motherboard only has an Ethernet jack

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

antwan3

Hello, I’m kind of in a complicated situation. I just moved to a new house and my motherboard does not have onboard wifi, only an Ethernet jack. My roommates live upstairs and I live downstairs so I cannot hardwire Ethernet into my PC without moving the modem and router downstairs, which I don’t think my roommates would be too appreciative of. Are there any solutions out there like adapters for coax to Ethernet?

crjdriver

If you want it hard wired, then you need to connect the system to the router or switch. There really is no other way.
The only thing I could suggest would be to get a long ie 100' RJ45 cable and run it from upstairs to downstairs.

TerryNet

Terry
There are adapters to allow ethernet over coax (example). For a less expensive solution see if you can string an ethernet cable along the coax cable or along a heating duct or something like that.

Couriant

James
To add to potential solutions, consider powerline adapters. Same idea as the example Terry mentioned, but using the power sockets.

As to the immediate issue (wireless connection), did you connect to the 2.4GHz or 5GHz connection?

What kind of signal strength do you see?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online