1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Motherboard or Power Supply problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by freegem, Jun 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. freegem

freegem Thread Starter

Recently I had a problem with my computer where the monitor would not get a signal no matter what and I also tried another monitor and got the same problem. I took out everything other than the motherboard, CPU and RAM. The computer started working so I put everything back in one by one and tested them each individually and it all worked until I put the graphics card back in (GeForce 8800 GTX). Now every time I take the card out of the computer it boots fine and the monitor works, but when I have the card installed the monitor gets no signal, even though it is connected to the motherboards VGA port and not the graphics card. I replaced the GeForce 8800 GTX with an older GeForce 7300 GS and it had the same problem, so now it's happened with two graphics cards even though the monitor was not connected to either of them (I'm hoping this is a sign that my 8800 GTX is not the problem?). When I originally started having the problem and took out the graphics card this problem was still happening, so I have seen it happen both with the video card installed and with the video card out of the computer, but now the computer only works while the card is not installed. I have had people tell me that the motherboard was probably failing, but now the motherboard appears to be working fine...as long as no graphics card is installed (they are both PCI-Express so maybe that slot is is having problems?). Any suggestions what could be going on here? My system specs are in a text file attachment.

Attached Files:

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

You left out one very important component in your computer specs. Post the EXACT make and model of your power supply and post a link to it.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

A quick and easy test is to swap in a known good pw supply of at least min wattage for your system. It takes all of a few min to swap pw supplies. This will tell you if it is the psu or the board that has problems.

4. freegem

freegem Thread Starter

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

Your power supply is borderline. I would take crjdriver's advice and jump a "stronger" power supply to the board and card and see if the problem continues.

You don't have to fully install the test power supply you can set it next to the machine and just hook up the necessary wiring for the board, the hard drive and the 8800 series card.

If you don't have a spare "stronger" power supply I would take the tower into a shop where they would normally have a test power supply and have them test it. To hook up a jumper power supply the cost should be about $25 or so.

I built a couple of machines with Core 2 Duo processors and 8800 series cards and used either a Corsair 550 or 650 watt power supply. I prefer power supplies with a large single +12v rail (especially with high power graphics cards) so you don't have to worry about power distribution.

6. freegem

freegem Thread Starter

Ok cool thanks a lot for the help guys!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/932365

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice