1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Motherboard or Power Supply

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blakes7, Sep 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Blakes7

Blakes7 Thread Starter

Hi! I have a computer (or maybe had) with an Asus M2v-MX SE motherboard with a dual core AMD processor, running XP Pro SP3. Over the last few months. maybe once every week or 2 weeks, it would freeze after booting into the OS. Mouse would freeze and couldn't crl-alt-delete to task manager. I had to unplug it, then reboot and it would be fine. The other day, as it booted the boot message screen came up in different colors within words, then everything had a green hue. The green hue continued after the OS came up. I was just checking mail before I went to work. When I came home, I turned on the computer---and nada. It didn't do anything, and a message appeared on the monitor---no signal. Not even the bios came up. I use the onboard video, so with the green hue I figured Motherboard. But since it sent no signal, now I'm thinking power supply. How can I determine the cause of the problem? I know I can't find a replacement motherboard---it's 7 years old. A month ago, I put in Crucial CT2KIT25664AA667 4gb, but I don't know how this would cause this problem as it hasn't froze since I installed the ram. Any and all responses will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. Photopilot

Photopilot

I take it you don't have a spare PSU to try out on it? I would start there or buy a new PSU, if it turns out to be your MOBO, you will be on your way to your new build.

I feel your pain, I am trying to build a new server using 8 year old components.

3. Blakes7

Blakes7 Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. It would be funny (I'll laugh later), but I was going to use this power supply to test another computer. I have looked on e-bay, and found the same power supply at a really good price---it was a cheap power supply to start with, but it did last 7 years. At worst, I'll have a power supply for testing. Thanks.

4. Photopilot

Photopilot

I would suggest buying a new PSU. It it is the PSU on your current computer we can guess the failure rate is around 7 years or so;).

Even if it is 7 years later it sucks to have to trouble shoot your system or have it go down for a day or more. For around $70 you can buy a good, new one and have it less likely to be a source of current or future problems.

5. Blakes7

Blakes7 Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. Just received a new power supply from Newegg---amazing, ordered it late yesterday morning and received it this afternoon. Installed it, plugged it in, made all the connections, and there be a computer here. Thanks for the help.

6. Photopilot

Photopilot

Awesome good to hear good results.

It makes sense to have a spare PSU sitting around because if your computer is acting up it is very possibly the PSU and it is the easiest thing to replace before testing and replacing all other components.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1108255

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice