1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Motherboard, other things

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LitomoSilver, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LitomoSilver

LitomoSilver Thread Starter

I hope I didn't put it in the wrong area...in any case...

I'd like help in obtaining the proper case for this motherboard at this link here:http://www.soyousa.com/products/proddesc.php?id=31

And a power supply as well...

I was fortunate to find this motherboard at a Goodwill store...and nabbed it. Not sure if it works or not, but generally, stuff from Goodwill do work...and this mobo looks new, at least, insofar as I can tell.

Fortunately, I have just about nearly everything I need for it. (Thanks to my older, crappy computer!) Everything from that older computer is going to be used for this motherboard, as they work with this mobo when it's ready.

And after that...how do I test the thing? :confused: I tried to test it with another PSU but it didn't work...I'm guessing it needs a case or something...it didn't power on at all, so maybe it's a dead mobo, or just needs a more stronger PSU.

So if you guys can help me, with a case and PSU you don't need, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks...

2. norton850

norton850

It's an ATX MB which is still pretty much the standard. This means that it will be easy to find a case since that's basically what you will see for sale. What did you have for an old case? You don't need a case for the MB to work (although most of us think it's a good idea :D ). How did you turn things on when you attached the PS to the MB?

3. Leec65

Leec65

on some cardboard install the cpu and fan , ram and the video card with montor pluged in then jumper the start pins with a screw driver if it post then you are good if not, then download the manual and start checking the dip switch setting on the board

4. LitomoSilver

CPU and fan was already installed....and installed the RAM. I'll reinstall the video card and see what happens when I jumper the start pins...though I'll have to look at the manual itself to see exactly which jumper...

I sure am glad for standards. The old case wasn't an ATX...it was an older version...definitely incompatible with this ATX mobo. (I prefer having a case so that I can have things properly installed! lol...I'd rather not risk having the cards stand up by themselves without support.) Methinks that the mobo needed to have its jumpers started like Leec65 suggested...I shall check for that, though I don't think the Dell OptiPlex GX60 PSU would help as I've realized quickly enough that the cursed thing wasn't going to work with the mobo...which is why I wanted to know what PSU would work with this mobo as I'd love to test it and see if it'll work...

5. norton850

norton850

Dell has used some BTX MBs. In addition sometimes the layout of their ATX board means they don't fit in a standard ATX case. Now as far as the PS, Dell has stated that for the last few years they have used PS with the standard ATX pin layout. I will have to look up to see if that applies to your Optiplex.

6. brite750

brite750

7. brite750

brite750

8. brite750

brite750

with the MB plugged in you just touch the two power switch pins together on the MB for a second and then remove it should start up and stay running

9. LitomoSilver

Alrighty, will try that.

Haven't had a chance to test the mobo yet as I'm still in the process of unpacking things at my new house...but will do so when I've got the opportunity.

10. LitomoSilver

I didn't have to short the jumpers...I had the little things that you use to turn on the mobo? The umm...buttons thingy? Dunno what they were called...but in any case, I plugged the Dell's PSU into it, connected the PCI video card I had, ram, and such things and connected the monitor.

Then with much apprehension, I pushed the button that I had...and it booted up quite nicely too. I've never been so glad to see it POST! I was able to get into the BIOs, and I watched it boot...till it got to the XP Pro hard drive that was already installed from the Dell PC...(Methinks that the fact that the proc in the Dell's a Intel and this computer has a AMD proc probably caused the Disk Read Error.)

But in any case, I know it boots up and I shall be installing XP on it when I have the opportunity.

There are two remaining issues: The case and the PSU.

Why I keep on asking about the case is because of this: I read somewhere that ATX mobos vary slightly in sizes, and that you need to get the right sized tower for the mobo, otherwise you risk breaking the mobo when you install it.

The second issue: PSU....I don't know what the right PSU is for it, and I need to know what would be the best PSU. The minimalistic mobo manual that came with the box wasn't very clear on just how strong the PSU needs to be...and I think the link I posted above also has manuals...thorough ones, that is...but in .pdf format, which I cannot open as of yet...as I don't have a net connection, and the local library doesn't like me accessing any other OSes in their computers besides Linux.

Egads...it sure does give you headaches, doesn't it?!

11. Leec65

Leec65

if you get a ATX mid it should work fine and a 250w PSU seeing how that is a super 7 board

12. LitomoSilver

250? Seems...low, I suppose.

I was thinking of getting one of the current AGP cards out there...but then again, that might be a bad idea.

What's your opinion?

And just what would be a ATX mid? (I can't tell the diff between mid and large tower and some small form factors too...)

Maybe that Lian Li case that I'd read in a Maximum PC magazine a few months back...I'll check it out and see what's up.

13. Leec65

Leec65

the last super 7 board i had only had a 195w PSU in it if you wanted something with future up grade in mind then something like this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103013

here is a link to mid cases just keep in mind you can get them with or without PSU you are better going with a good name PSU, and most with PSU are not that good

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?N=2010090007+1054808287&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=7

as far as the APG card it all depends on what you are going to do with the computer games or just files and internet here is a link for cards

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?N=2010380048+1069609639&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=48

14. LitomoSilver

I think I shall take your recommendations, especially the PSU and the case...so that's what the mid cases are!

AGP cards...hmm, I'll hold off on that...I have a PCI video card, luckily enough, and it does alright for the job...but I'll definitely upgrade to an AGP card.

Would the USB and such and such be supported in the case when I attach it to the mobo?

I wonder, since some of the cases sure will have Firewire...where to connect that to...perhaps a Firewire card?

And I managed to get ahold of a Adobe Reader, though it's incredibly out of date! (3.1....gotten from the Soyo CD that came with it...and I wonder if XP will recognize the stuff without me installing the drivers...)

In any case...I shall be checking out the hard drive problem...I'm glad to see that it supports E-ide, much to my relief.

15. Leec65

Leec65

unless you really need firewire you would have to use a card for as that board does not have a header for it
    adobe reader is free off the net here

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

and XP sould have all you other drivers but you will need to load the chipset from the motherboard disk

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542119

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice