1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Motherboard Plate question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thedave108, Apr 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thedave108

thedave108 Thread Starter

I've built a bunch of computers for clients and friends but something that I can't get right are the prongs on the motherboard back plate.

Can someone fill me in PLEASE - Are you supposed to bend them back? cut them off? keep them where they are? It doesn't look right if you keep them where they are and sometimes things won't fit in the plugs. When I bend them back - they never go evenly and the plate looks wierd and sits a bit skewed. Cutting them seemed like the cleanest thing to do - but the cuts are hard to get neat and pro looking.

What the heck is going on - How do you get a first class look with these confounded prongs??:confused:

Thanks a bunch in advance

the dave

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

By "back plate" I assume you mean the I/O plate that you press into the chassis. The spring "tangs" on the I/O plate should be in contact with the I/O connectors on the motherboard. Some make contact on the side of the I/O connectors and some make contact on the top of the I/O connectors.

It sounds as if you are not getting the I/O plate properly installed. The raised area on the I/O plate needs to snap into the chassis opening evenly with no gaps on any side.

Attached is a picture where a I/O plate "tang" has been bent and caught in a USB port. After I install the I/O plate I push the board over to the I/O plate and just temporarily secure the board with one or two screws until I check and make sure none of the spring "tangs" are caught in front of, or in any I/O connector. If one is caught in an I/O connector or is blocking an I/O connector I loosen the board and get the spring "tangs" in the correct position.

If the I/O plate and motherboard is mounted correctly the I/O spring "tangs" should not interfere with any of the I/O connectors. If everything is aligned properly you shouldn't have to cut off any of the spring "tangs".

Attached Files:

3. thedave108

Thanks - though I must admit Im still not 100% clear. I do get the plate itself properly seated with no problem. Its just those tangs. So youre saying the ones on the larger holes for video and other plugs stay as is and rest in place. The ones around the smaller USB and LAN, sound and PS2 get bent back. Is that right? Thank you.

dave

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

The only ones I have ever had a problem with are the ones for the USB ports or the ethernet connector. Maybe in 1 of every 25-30 builds I will find one caught in a USB port. I just remove the two screws I have holding the board in place, back the board towards the right hand side of the chassis, straighten the spring "tang", then push the board back into the correct position.

I always check the board to make sure one is not out of place before I fully lock the board down.

5. thedave108

Gotcha - just leave it as is as long as no holes are blocked - thanks - and I'm relieved - all that bending and cutting was no fun at all.
    d

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!