1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Motherboard/Power Supply problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alastes, Sep 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alastes

Alastes Thread Starter

I recently decided to upgrade my computer big time by purchasing a new motherboard and processor and power supply/case. Anywho, it is a KD7-E motherboard, an AMD Athlon XP processor, and a 300watt power supply. The processor doesn't seem to be the problem though, so that shouldn't be anything to worry about. I put the new MB in to the case and hooked it all up correctly. I triple checked it a million times. It simply would not turn on at all until I hooked a friends power supply in to it, and that seemed to sort of jump start it. It came on, the fans and the lights, and it would seem to go just fine but then it would sort of hiccup and die. We hooked my power supply back in to it and it started working, but hiccuping just like the other. It would start up, fans and all, then they would just die all of a sudden. It seems that it runs longer though if you hold down the power button, for some reason. At first I just thought the power supply or the motherboard was fried, but that cannot be it, since they both work...just not well. I think it might be a short in the motherboard maybe? And it is not a lack of power either. It is a 300 watt power supply and that would be enough I believe. That, and my friends who we hooked in to it was a 450watt power supply, and that is more then enough. Anywho...dunno if anyone has heard of anything like this before, or have any suggestions or tips, but I would really appreciate it. I'd like to get it working instead of having to send it all back to get new stuff, which would be a major pain. Thanks.

2. arty62

arty62

3. Rusty1952

Rusty1952

Sounds like u got a doozy there. Try chekin the continuity of the
    pwr cord or try another. If okay there, think what i would do is take the MB out of the case using a piece of cardboard or wood as a base to set it on. Leave the cpu, ram and graphics card in and boot the pc. See how it reacts. If it works okay in this configuration then try grasping the MB while pwr is on, on opposite sides edges and flex it slightly back and forth. Do this at top and bottom and left and right. Be sure to wear a anti-staic wrist strap and ground it. If it shuts down then you may hav a slightl crack in the MB that is causin the intermittant behavior due to an open. If you try it post bak here and let us know.

rusty1952

4. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

If you test it outside the case (on cardboard) as Rusty1952 suggested and everything works, the the mobo is shorting out somewhere in the case. Check all the mobo standoffs to make sure there are no shorts there.

5. Rusty1952

Rusty1952

Also, the pwr loss problem can still be caused from a slight crack on the MB which only wreaks it's havoc when mounted in the pc's
    case via the standoffs and mounting holes. I hav a atx MB where the holes do not line up perfectly (I can install all the screws but there is a slight stress being put on the MB when mounted in the case). Fortunately there are no cracks in this board. At least i don't think; not yet anyway.

My point being; is your pwr loss can still be from an "Open" rather than a "Short" caused by the MB standoffs, if everything looks, tests, to be okay with the standoffs.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166493

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice