1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Motherboard Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mushimo, Jul 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mushimo

Mushimo Thread Starter

Just recently purchased a new Biostar CRU51-M9 motherboard. The issue is that it will not recognize any Harddrive and DVD drive I made sure the connections where secure, replaced cables, tried auto recognition within the bios...nada. Any suggestions? I'm thinking the motherboard might be defective. States i have a floppy disk error, but I did not install one. I've tested the harddrive and dvd drive on another computer and they work fine.

Any suggestions before I return the mobo?

2. onsite

onsite

the dvd and hd are PATA ( grey flat cable ) ? or SATA , thin cable ?
    did you go into the bios and make sure the bios was set for no floppy and PATA HD DVD,?
    I would try a cmos clear, actually take the battery ( noting which side the + is) out odf the mainboard for awhile.

3. Mushimo

Mushimo Thread Starter

They're the gray flat cables, not SATA. I'll givie it a try

4. norton850

norton850

Jumpers right on the drives? Floppy cable in the right way?

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    He has no floppy Norton, hence the error. The computer expects a floppy and flags an error. He needs to go into the CMOS setup and and specify that there is no floppy and to disable the Floppy drive seek and as well as take it out fo the boot order, sometimes its enough to disable the floppy and the rest will modified accordingly.

6. Mushimo

Mushimo Thread Starter

Hardrive and DVD drive still not being detected on auto. When I manually try to have the mobo recognize the drives, the DVD drive is detected but not the hardrive. Sata is disabled and dvd and hardrive (both IDE) both set to master per pin behind drive. I was successful in removing the floppy drive error. I rechecked the gray cables to make sure they were firmly
    placed. I do not think power is an issue as I can open the dvd drive. Upon turning on the machine, it states DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK...after inserting original XP disk in DVD drive and pressing enter, nothing happens.

Auto on mobo still does not detect DVD drive and HDD (both IDE). I didn't remove the battery though. I'm beginning to think the mobo is defective.

7. replay

replay

silly question..............the hd is attached to the primary channel on mobo.... dvd to secondary channel...........right?

8. Mushimo

Mushimo Thread Starter

I've built several computers in the past, mostly using ASUS mobo. I never had problems with mobo not detecting IDE hardrives or DVD/CD drives. The motherboard is a biostar GEForce 6100 M9. Since the bios is set to autodetect, I'm not sure why it would not recognize them. I've swapped hardrives and DVD drives from another computer and still the mobo do not detect them. The problem is definately on either the mobo or bios settings, not the peripherals.

9. onsite

onsite

WHAT mushimo was saying , do you have the dvd and HD on seperate channels or are they on the same channel cabled together ? you have them both master. is your cable a cable select cable ? dos it say devic 0, device 1 on it or at there any hole in it ?
    just try the HD by itself even if the dvd is on another channel

10. Mushimo

Mushimo Thread Starter

HDD on primary IDE using a separate cable from the DVD Drive. DVD drive attached to secondary IDE. I've also swapped cables from another computer so I do not think the cables are the issue also.

11. onsite

onsite

did you clear the cmos, actually remove the battery

12. norton850

norton850

Good reason for a floppy error. :eek: If resetting CMOS doesn't do anything, jumpers are right, drives and cables are OK, MB would be what's left.

13. onsite

onsite

there has got to be a setting overlooked. I set up this customers Dell, that had the most confusing bios set up. Actually it made sense after i understood what was going on. I thought that the second IDE channel was on and it was not. It had SATA and PATA all listed together. i think i would call or email the mainboard tech support

14. Mushimo

Mushimo Thread Starter

problem solved.

There's 2 settings for Onchip IDE Channel 0 and 1. Both were initially set to enabled but mobo did not work. I reset the cmos and disabled the setting and still it did not work. I reabled and it worked. took a lot of trial and error but final worked.

Thanks for the support folks.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485673

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice