1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

motherboard problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jules.j, Apr 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jules.j

jules.j Thread Starter

Hi there,

I have installed a new motherboard, processor and ram and although I have got the system running it seems to be slower than my old one!. I have fiddled with the bios and I think I have the right settings for the processor and ram (although not 100% sure) I am not sure what I need to do next as I am new to upgrading hardware.

My old system:

Epox motherboard
    duron 700
    128 meg ram
    5400 hd
    geforce 2mx
    Windows 2000

new system

asus motherboard
    athlon xp2600+
    256 meg ram
    same hd and graphics card
    windows 2000

Any help much appreciated

2. brianF

brianF

Front side bus set at 166mhz????
    Check in device manager, make sure the hard drives are using udma

If your not sure go to start/run/type dxdiag, it should show your processor speed on the front tab.

3. jules.j

jules.j Thread Starter

Fsb is set to 166 and drives to udma. Dxdiag says processor is running at 1921mhz when I think it should be 2.08ghz. I Have changed multiplier from auto to 12.5/13 and this makes no difference.

When I first booted up I did not get the post test but after a second try it booted to windows and for a while everything seemed fine. The hd seems to spin when the windows screen appears, stops and then starts again when the desktop is being loaded. It has acted strangely ever since the new motherboard went in.

When I am in the bios and go to save an exit the computer will not boot windows and the screen turns off and I have to unplug it to get it to boot again.

Now I had had to use a different computer as the new system freezes and crashes after about 2 minutes and cannot be restarted without pulling the plug.

Am having a few different problems and havent a clue where to start.

4. Ronnie151

Ronnie151

try pulling the processor out a reseating it you might have the heatsink on wrong check it out.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222664

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice