1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Motherboard Problems..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Yellow Pimpi, Sep 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Yellow Pimpi

Yellow Pimpi Thread Starter

I've found out that I've fried my motherboard. :eek: Everything else I've found to be in working order like my processor, power supply and all of that. I'm having trouble finding a compatible motherboard with my computer. I've found the specs for the motherboard from the manufacturer's (emachines) website.

http://www.e4allinc.info/dir1/motherboards/socket370/lomita.htm

I just can't find one anywhere. Any help?

2. southernlady

southernlady

Have you tried eBay? Liz

3. brite750

brite750

4. Yellow Pimpi

thanks for the quick replys guys - but I need to make sure that before I purchase one of these that they will fit in the factory case. I'm really not trying to get a mobo and then it not fit in the case.

Anyway of finding out what spec I need for my specific computer?

(Emachines T1116)

5. southernlady

southernlady

If you are willing to rebuild the motherboard, why NOT just buy a new case and strip the stuffings out of the one you have? A new case isn't that expensive and you can make sure and get one that WILL fit the motherboard. It will also give you a chance to UPGRADE your computer into a something that really worth it. From what I saw of your old motherboard, you really NEED to upgrade anyway.

Get a barebones kit and start from there. Liz

6. Yellow Pimpi

To be honest - I have no idea what I'm doing. My mother in law tried to install some ram in her comp and fried the mobo with that lovely static cling. Got it diagnosed and they told me that I need a new mobo...but they wanted me to pay $250.00 to get one and have it installed. The whole "get a new case" option sounds great - but I have such limited PC Repair/tech skills - I would be left with a hunk up metal.

7. southernlady

southernlady

Who is telling you this? Where did you go to do this repair because they should have enough skills to tell YOU what you need exactly, as in what type of motherboard, if they are repairing YOUR computer? Liz

8. brite750

brite750

9. brite750

brite750

I think what southernlady is saying is that, to replace a mobo is doing almost all the work that you would do to replace the case and mobo, other than installing the drives she's right

10. Yellow Pimpi

Again, not my computer. Mother in laws computer. My comp is fine, I'm just trying to do the repairs for her. And the place that I took it to just did the diagnosis as to why the computer would no longer start and told me that I needed another motherboard - didn't really give me any specifics.

Thanks for the link though. I didn't know if it was an ATX or Micro ATX. Thanks for the help.

11. southernlady

southernlady

We are trying to help and whether it's your's or your Mother in law's, you still need to know what they are doing to it. It's like taking your car to a repair shop and having them tell you your tire is flat without telling you how to fix it when they are in the REPAIR shop business. Well, duh! If they can't fix it, what are they doing in business in the first place?

What you need to do, is find a REPUTABLE repair shop who WILL tell you what is wrong AND fix it without YOU having to run around trying to find the parts for it. Liz

12. Yellow Pimpi

Sorry if I'm coming off as hostile or just dumb, I just never really asked the repair place about what motherboard was necessary...I figured that I could just find one my self. They said that they would fix it - and they are a reputable place, I just never asked them what type of motherboard I needed. But when I went online to try and find a mobo, I didn't know what the hell I was looking at. I appreciate the help and concern. Not trying to be a pain...

Thanks though.

13. southernlady

southernlady

Okay, apology accepted :D Anyway, now that we know that you started off looking for one without knowing much about what you were actually looking for, have you thought about the fact that for not much more than what it would cost in repair, your mother in law could buy a new computer? She has the monitor and the rest of the peripherals, all she needs is the tower itself.

You said they want $250 to repair it, she could have a new one for less than double that. Liz

14. Yellow Pimpi

I know that...I've told her that - and the fact that she would more than likely have to format her HD anyway (which was her main concern. I told her it would just be easier for the both of us to just buy her a new one. But she is pretty stubborn - I may have to go through all of this work.

And the $250.00 cost was for both getting the mobo and installation - not just installation. Not sure if it came across that way or not.

15. brite750

brite750

Those boards are getting hard to find, ancient technology and all, the DFI was $60ish, if you could find someone to install it for $100 or something at least you would have a working pc again.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276930

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice