1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Motherboard Question Help!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CaptainPicardX, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CaptainPicardX

CaptainPicardX Thread Starter

I`m trying to add a better graphics card for watching "movies" not really into playing games. Can anyone tell me which graphics cards are compatible with my motherboard. I tried to install one a a year ago and i tried everything but my monitor would not turn on, so I ended up taking it back to best buy, and the guy told me that maybe the card aint compatible with my motherboard.

Info:
    this is form the premiumgeeks.com

Motherboard
    P5LP-LE (Leonite2)
    Manufacturer: AS Form factor: microATX – 24.4 cm (9.6 inches) x 24.4 cm (9.6 inches)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. katokato

katokato

you can add any modern day gpu, since you have a pcie x16 slot.
    however the question is:

do you have enough room for a suitable gpu? take a ruler and measure out your mobo to see if the gpu that you want can fit.

most cases, people buying gpu's often have to upgrade psu to support their card. but since a mid ish to low ish range card is all you need im not gonna stress too much about getting a good psu, but here it is:
    can your psu supply enough power to ur gpu (if its oem psu upgrade)? does your psu have a pcie cable to power your gpu?
    most psu makers advertise the total output in watts, however do not make a decision based on the wattage alone. look at the specifications of the psu that you want to buy, and look at the 12v rail. does the 12v rail provide enough amperage to power the selected gpu(22 Amps or more should be fine, most psu comes with x2 12v rails.)?

AND yes, most oems ship with crappy psus, so if you really want to be safe, upgrade that psu(i cant make a decision on whether u will need to upgrade your psu, as i dont know what psu you have).

and also i dont think that you REALLY need a discrete gpu to watch simple movies, but if watching on a hd super high def screen, id get a lowish-mid range gpu (highend is for hardcore gaming, and most mid range are for gaming also, not really benefiting much just wasting money).

remember, since you are only watching movies, keep the cost of your gpu low, and go with ati cards, personally i would get a 5670(it would probably fit since its a small card, but measure to make sure) or lower end card, but others have suggested ones from the 4xxx series.

but if you are watching non bluray non extreme hd movies, just stick to your integrated card.

3. CaptainPicardX

CaptainPicardX Thread Starter

I already upgraded the psu from the stock 250W to a 400W Dynex, but after doing some research on the net, people are saying that dynex is crap, so after I get my tax return I am planning to buy a few upgrades for my com including the gpu and I am planning to get a Corsair 750W psu. As far as the size of the gpu, I dont think that is gonna be a big issue, but why diid my monitor not turn on last time I put a gpu in it?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

A few reasons;
    1 You did not follow the procedure for installing a real video card ie disabling the onboard
    2 You are correct; dynex is junk. Not enough pw for your card

You do not need a very high end card to watch movies. In fact my home theater system uses onboard video and it works great on a 47" led TV.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!