1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Motherboard question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by snesmaster, Sep 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. snesmaster

snesmaster Thread Starter

I'm new here first off, but i have a question as to wether or not my motherboard is any good and if i need to buy a new one for what i want to do. i currently have the ET1331g-03W model emachines and it has a MCP61PM-GM motherboard and currently has an AM3 socket AMD athlon 2 X2 E235 dual core processor i want to be able to upgrade to a quad core. So my question being: Will my motherboard handle a quad core or will i need to invest in a slightly better mother board and if so what motherboard while semi cheap is still decent enough to easily handle a quad core AM3 socket with PCI-E sockets for graphics plug-ins and such.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

If its an eMachines and you are wanting to upgrade it; well you're better off selling it and buying a whole new system. CPU support is very limited from most OEM manufacturer's and eMachines is no exception. But eMachines are the bottom of the barrel, the cheapest possible systems money can buy - this system has a board made for them by ECS:)down:). And since its an OEM system if you replace the motherboard you have to legally buy a new copy of Windows, and the Recovery Discs generally don't work anymore as well. The power supplies are also very problematic and prone to failure and generally inadequate for most add-in graphics cards.

Here's some motherboard info that I think is for what you have: http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/Shared/4006254R/4006254Rsp2.shtml
    But there may be a newer version in some systems.

3. snesmaster

Wait so IF i got a new motherboard i would need a new copy of windows? i had always thought that Windows was part of the HD not the motherboard. but my main question STILL remains unanswered CAN this motherboard that i currently have which was the stock one handle a quad core processor?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Its installed on the hard drive, yes. But if you buy an OEM system like an eMachine that Windows installation it married to the original hardware, mainly the motherboard. Once you replace the motherboard you are required to purchase a new copy of Windows as the copy that eMachines provides is an OEM copy only to be used with eMachines hardware.

5. snesmaster

Ok that answers that question. what if i wanted to just get upgrade the processor though? from a dual to a triple or posibly quad core? Could i just do THAT.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Yes, but only if the eMachines motherboard supports it.

7. snesmaster

Ok so as long as it's the same socket type it should work then?

8. PcTestCard_com

PcTestCard_com

If the mobo cannot support the new CPU, more likely the RAM will need to replace as well in order to run the quad cored CPU on the other new mobo.

So it is advisable to sell the emachine and buy the whole new one.

Cheers!
    Bill

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1015866