1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

motherboard question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by code65, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. code65

code65 Thread Starter

I was planning to place a order for this motherboard in the morning ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813127030 ) but I have a question. The additional power connector under the one pci slot. Do I need to plug my power supply in there or is that for if my video card needs to get plugged into a power connector?

2. Cazio

Cazio

I'm 99% sure that that connector is for if a GFX card needs additional power.

3. burnthepc

burnthepc

The manual will tell you for sure. But my best guess is that it's in some way an additional power out for the GPU. It's mounted in a place where it could fit under the latest 8800-9800 Nvidia cards with expanded heatsink.

An odd design. If it is a power out for the GPU, there's only one and most new cards need two. Also, it seems strange to route power through the motherboard, more links in the chain = more problems. So personally I'd not use it if it was a power out.

It could of course be a power in... can't think what the power would be used for though. It has the 8pin CPU power and the 24-pin motherboard connector. If you get it I'd strongly advise being 100% sure that this is a power in before you connect it to the PSU. Sure fire way to fry your equipment is to plug power in where it's not intended.

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

You plug in a 4 pin molex connector from your power supply to the connector. It is used to provide extra power to the PCIe slots.

5. code65

code65 Thread Starter

Ok thank you all.

Edit: Before I forget I have one other question. For a new motherboard is it needed to update the bios? im asking because I hear its risky to do and its something I don't fully know how to do.

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

You do not need to update the BIOS unless it addresses a specific issue that you are encountering.

7. code65

code65 Thread Starter

Ok thanks.

8. code65

code65 Thread Starter

Just want to confirm something real quick. My power supply has a 24pin connect but for the cpu part it only has a 4 pin. Now I just placed my order for a core 2 quad (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115017) and the motheroard in my above posts. My question is will my power supply with the 24pin and 4 pin cpu work without problems? Also I have no intention to OC.

Edit: I just looked in my case and I see there is also a 6 pin connector. Would that work in a 8pin motherboard or would the 4 pin be better? I realize a 8 pin would be best but unfortunately I cant afford a new power supply as well.

9. Jackiefrost9

Jackiefrost9

What power supply are you using? It is important to understand that if your power supply cannot handle the computer's power requirement you risk having it fail and maybe take some other components with it. Will you also post the complete specs of this computer along with the power supply?

That 6 pin connector is probably for a video card, not the processor (which is what the 8 pin is for).

10. win2kpro

win2kpro

The answer is YES, you can use the board with a 4 pin 12v auxiliary connector IF your power supply meets the following requirement.

The Q6600 processor with G0 stepping has an Intel PCG rating of 05A. If your power supply is built to ATX specs, the specs recommend that the +12v2 rail be isolated and dedicated for the processor. The Intel minimum recommendation on the +12v2 rail for an 05A rated processor is 13A continuous and 16.5A peak for at least 10ms.

http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/res..._inst_info/proc_tested_source_lists/35815.htm

It is important to make sure your power supply output was calculated at 40-50C and that you have a full output on the +12v2 rail of 17-19A so that the processor receives the proper power. Power supply's where the output was calculated at 25C will not have the full power output when operating at 40-50C which is the "normal" operating temperature range for a power supply.

11. code65

code65 Thread Starter

12. Jackiefrost9

Jackiefrost9

The second link is what we were looking for, and it looks like it will power the machine just fine, but to make sure, what video card are you going to use?

13. code65

code65 Thread Starter

I will be using a nvidia 8600gt.

14. Jackiefrost9

Jackiefrost9

Alright then that power supply should work fine for the system. From what I am reading I think that it will be fine to plug the 4 pin in instead of the 8, just don't overclock. You can try doing some more research though. I know you can do that with the dual cores and I think you can with the quads.

15. code65

code65 Thread Starter

Ok thank you.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700834

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice