1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

motherboard replacement disaster

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by joethall, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joethall

joethall Thread Starter

My problem is with a tower Windows 2000 Professional system that is only about four years old. After returning from a lengthy vacation, I found that my tower system would no longer boot.

After some card swapping we determined that the motherboard had gone south and so I replaced it, the CPU and CPU fan. That wasn't all that hard and it seemed to come up right away. The problem is that when it attempts to come up on C:\WINNT it asks me to insert my Windows 2000 Professional CD but when I do it immediately asks me to enter the Product Code - but the keyboard is dead. The mouse works, but the keyboard will not enter any characters of the Product Code.

Thus, I can't do any kind of boot to repair the system !!!!

So, in desperation, I did a clean install - but this time into C:\WIN2K and this worked just fine and I could enter the Product Code and everything. Good news right? Well, yes, the system comes up and Win2K looks O.K. - BUT I'VE LOST ALL MY ICONS, THE REGISTRY AND ALL INFORMATION ABOUT MY INSTALLED APPLICATIONS !!!!! This is not good and I'm getting very desperate to come up with a way to recover this information.

I realize that I COULD try to find all my applications and see if I can re-installed them, BUT I REALLY DON'T WANT TO GO THROUGH THIS LEVEL OF PAIN !!!!

The system comes up and prompts me to choose one of two operating systems. If I choose C:\WINNT I eventually get to a screen demanding the product code and I'm sunk. If I choose C:\WIN2K the system comes up and the keyboard is O.K. but my applications are really not available.

What do you think about this situation and do you see any alternatives that I might try to get back up on the C:\WINNT system?

Thanks

Joe Hall

2. Emtronics

Emtronics

Question: Do you use an USB keyboard??

3. snappy_31

snappy_31

Also if you did a completely clean install nothing would be on your drive except the new copy of 2000 so it looks like you just added another copy in.
    When you change major components like the MB usually it is best to completely format the hard drive and start very fresh as like in the mess you have now the winnt is having a multitude of software conflicts.

If you can get into the new copy of 2000 like I believe I've read here then all the files are in the other version of 2000 in which you should be able copy over and burn to disk.
    Hope this is helpful
    Peter

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224139

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice