Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Motherboard Replacement Help

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  737Simpilot 
#1 ·
So I have an Alienware Aurora R4, and earlier this spring my house was hit by lightning and it created multiple problems in the motherboard. It fried almost all of the USB ports and all the headphone/mic jacks. Bottom line, I need a new motherboard; here are the parts/software in the computer:

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Processor: Intel Core i7-3820 @ 3.6GHz
RAM: Dell 4x4GB DDR3 UDIMM 1600MHz NON-EEC
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB
Motherboard: Dell Alienware Aurora R4 Series LGA2011
Power Supply: Dell Alienware 875 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply

My main goal is replace the motherboard and case. So I guess my noobie question is: what compatibility issues (if any) might I have if I were to move all the parts out of this computer and install them in a new case with a different motherboard? I am quite knowledgeable in computers, but I must say that motherboards are my weakest concept so I am stumped by this possibility. The current motherboard can only be described as insane in appearance, as there are two separate boards, in which are not universal to other cases by any means (the main board is literally built in to the case). I am assuming the other motherboard is for lights only, but I am not sure. I have tried contacting Dell but they will not recommend a fix that wont make them money (i.e. they tell me to extend warranty or replace it with another product). Even if you all don't know much about Alienware software or products, I would still like to know if switching motherboards in any computer brings compatibility issues, so that I can take that lead and figure something else out. Thanks!

Side note: throughout all my years with Alienware, I cannot say I recommend these computers as they are often faulty and require hardware replacements almost yearly. So if you are reading this and are shopping for a computer, I recommend that you not get an Alienware. Also, Dell support sucks (at least through my experience).

See less See more
#3 ·
You have another problem as well. Big box systems ie dell, hp, etc have an OEM type lic. This lic lives and dies with the original hardware. You change the motherboard and you need a new copy of windows.
You can replace the motherboard in a dell, etc however it must be the dell designated replacement board. You cannot just slap in an asus, gigabyte, etc and reuse the old windows lic.
This is just one of the many reasons why it is better to build your own system. As the system builder, you can designate any motherboard you want as the replacement board and again install your oem copy of windows.

#4 ·
Your CPU, GPU and power supply could all be fried as well. You might be better off building a new computer from scratch. Do you have a budget?

You motherboard is socket 2011 which is quite old.
Ya I had a professional take a look at my computer while he was fixing our internet and he said that I would need (at the minimum) a new processor, power supply, motherboard, ram, and operating system (unless I can somehow get windows 10 on my hard drive with a windows 7 verification code). I figure without factoring labor for someone to do this, my budget for all these replacement parts is ~$800

#6 ·
Ya I know how to put a computer together, but I would want to keep my old hard drives, and with that comes the old OEM and I need to get it off but I wouldnt know how to do that and download windows 10. Now, if I can switch to windows 10 on this one, I could very well do it myself, but unfortunately I bought this off someone I know and neither him or I have the original papers with the windows 7 verification code which is required to switch to windows 10 for free. As you can see, I got myself into quite a mess.

#7 ·
Saw a replacement motherboard on Ebay but it was $250. Ouch!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.