1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Motherboard Replacement HP Pavilion a300n

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TJIT, Oct 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TJIT

TJIT Thread Starter

I have one HP computer left with the proprietary garbage from HP inside. The motherboard has the "HPANEL" plug, which incorporates all of the front panel control switches and lights in one single-sided plug, meaning that the traditional Power, Reset SW, HDD LED, plugs are non-existent. I am trying to install a new motherboard, but cannot, because of the HPANEL plug configuration in the machine itself. Anyone ever conquer this task before? Advice, other than scrap the HP heap? The link to the configuration page from HP is here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=bph07845

2. RogueSpear00

RogueSpear00

You're replacing it with a non-HP replacement motherboard, correct? If so you can check the pin-out configuration of the HPANEL plug and separate the plugs. Slightly tedious, but it does mean you don't have to scrap it. Easer than that is just put in a power switch that plugs into the power jumper for the new board and don't even worry about the rest. All you need to be able to do is to turn it on and off really.

3. TJIT

TJIT Thread Starter

Yes, non-HP board. I can see in there that there are 2 wires for the On/Off, no Reset, and 2 for the HDD LED. I've just never had to separate the wires from a plug before, so don't really know the process. Looks rather simple, but I don't want to break the metal slides from the ends of the wires.

4. TJIT

TJIT Thread Starter

Well I took the plunge and successfully pulled the wires from the gang-plug. Very simple to do after I looked at it. Thanks for the reply. Take care and have a good day!

5. TJIT

TJIT Thread Starter

This thing doesn't seem to want to be simple. I've installed the motherboard, connected everything, turned it on, and now it's stuck in a boot-loop, no matter what option I select from the Safe Mode list. Ideas?

6. RogueSpear00

RogueSpear00

Did you use the hard drive from the original computer and just plug it into the new one? You'll need to reinstall windows on it if that is the case.

7. TJIT

TJIT Thread Starter

Yep. I hadn't thought about the configuration before I did that. Thanks again!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!