1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Motherboard Replacement?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by themummyXXX, Jul 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. themummyXXX

themummyXXX Thread Starter

Hello everyone, I need thoughts on whether or not the problem is the motherboard, even though I did some tests and it does seem so, but I would like your thoughts.
    Here’s the story…
    I have an “eMachines T5062” Desktop computer. Here’s a link to the Computer’s Specs:
    http://www.e4me.com/products/products.html?prod=T5062 , nothing has been changed except for the Power Supply, which is now a “Codegen Dual-480w”.
    The Problem with the computer is that it no longer turns On. The lights of the PC won’t turn on, but the Fan of the processor, the one on the back and the PSU all turn on, but nothing appears on screen. Pressing and Holding the Power button sometimes shuts down the Fan of the Processors Fan and the one on the back ( I do not know what the name of that fan), but the PSU Fan still spins.
    Before this behavior started to happen the PC worked normal, there were no Performance issues, everything… just worked, until it started to shut down unexpectedly, and ultimately refusing to turn on. I already tested the RAM, Hard Drive, and PSU on another desktop computer and it all worked, the RAM and Hard Drive all came out with no errors. I also used a Power Supply from another computer to the eMachines computer and RAM and nothing, still the same problem.
    So, is this Mother Board related? Will replacing the Motherboard fix the problem?

~Thanks in Advance!

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    eMachines does not use very high quality components in their computers. The Motherboard is likely ro be made by ECS, PcChips, or a low end Asrock. It is entirely possible that the motherboard is blown. Though usually with eMachines it is the Bestec or worse power supply that blows destroying the motherboard and other components.

3. themummyXXX

Thanks dustyjay for the response,

Ok, so the motherboard is likely the problem. I do doubt it's the Power supply, mainly cause it has been replaced in the previous repair it had. I did tested it with another PC I have and it worked, the PC booted and everything worked as normal. As for the other components, They were tested with the other PC, and they all worked.
    So, if replacing the Motherboard will fix the computer, then, I'm up for it.

Any other thoughts are accepted.

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Remember that if your Copy of the OS is as supplied by eMachines, you will most likely need a diredt replacement of the motherboard from eMachines as the OEM OS will not work on a different model motherboard. also the motherboard will need to match the proprietary case.

5. themummyXXX

It's a retail OS, Windows Vista Business (I should've waited for Win7). Would this work, or would it require a re-installation of Windows? So, if I were to install this new Motherboard, do I need to do some extra settings, or would it Auto-Config itself with the other components?

As for the Motherboard matching the case, Thanks for the Important Tip!! I'll keep that in mind. Though I would make sure to show the PC to the store I'll be purchasing the Motherboard just to make sure I get the right one.

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Computer stores are not going to be selling a board for an eMachines computer unless they happen to have a used one laying around for some reason. You could take the old motherboard with you to see if the IO's on the back of the motherboard are going to match your case. A direct replacement is going to have to be ordered from eMachines. And unless you get a direct replacement you are going to have to reinstall windows because the original installation is going to be looking for the Chipset from the original motherboard and it wont find it.

As far as settings go, you will probably have to make some adjustments in the BIOS Settings, such as boot order and drive priority, Those are pretty simple.

7. win2kpro

win2kpro

8. themummyXXX

@dustyjay, Well, the store I'm planning on going is one of those PC repair places, they did said they sell computer components, and since they repair PC's I am assuming they must have components for most computers. If they don't have it, then I'll then order the Motherboard replacement or check out "win2kpro"'s Link to order a Motherboard (which, Thanks By the way).
    As for the re-Installation of Windows. That's Indeed great info, Thanks! The BIOS settings wont be a problem, but if there going to be driver problems, then, I guess the best way would be to do a fresh Windows Install just to avoid any problem, I don't mind so long as the PC works fine.

Well... I guess that's it. All I have to do is replace the motherboard. Which would ordering one directly from eMachines. Thanks! I'll be working with this issue tomorrow. :)

When I get the problem solved, I'll make sure to post it here, just to let you know if it fixed the problem.

Once again, thanks for the Help!

9. win2kpro

win2kpro

If you use an identical board as the current board you won't have to reinstall any software. Just install the board and board components, and you should be ready to go.

10. themummyXXX

Oh, well, I hope I get to find an exact replacement in store or from that link, even though I wouldn't mind reinstalling the whole thing, that's still aprox. 8 hours of re-installation I could save. Thanks for the Info!

11. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    win2kpro's link is probably going to be the most economical way to go. A new replacement from eMachines will likely cost a good deal more than $80.

12. win2kpro

win2kpro

If you have recovery discs for the eMachine don't make the mistake and purchase another brand board and try to use it. Unless you get the exact same board or eMachines designated board replacement the recovery discs will not work because they will not see the expected BIOS.

If you purchase a non eMachine board legally you would need to purchase a new operating system also.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1006670

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice