1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Motherboard replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by benmp3master2, Jan 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. benmp3master2

benmp3master2 Thread Starter

I have a problem wth my motherboard and I am getting ready to replace it. What motherboard should I buy? It needs to handle a AMD Athlon 1.4 266 fsb socket A, 2 dimms(512 and 128 PC133). Also needs usb, at least 3 pci slots or an integrated nic and 2 pci slots, and one AGP Slot. I have been looking at Biostar motheboards, are they any good? Thanks

2. computerwiz5

computerwiz5

Gigabyte is a good brand. The GA-7VAXP,GA-7VAX, GA-7VAXP Ultra are good. i hav eit and its really good. Havent had a problem yet.

3. benmp3master2

Right now I am looking at a Biostar M7Vig. Anyone have this or know why I should not buy it? Thanks

4. plschwartz

plschwartz

Took a look at that board, nothing wrong with it, nothing exciting.
    Two questions
    1. It is a micro ATX do you need that size?
    2. do you need built in audio and video.

The other thing that tou are doing by keeping the pc133 is locking youself into what is basically an older board. If you decide to upgrade memory later to DDR you will already be stuck. This board takes DDR 2100 which is pc 266 which has been superceded already by pc 2700
    (333) and pc 3200 (400).256mb of pc2700 is about $60 and up.
    That speed should be sufficient for your chip)
    So why dont you give us some more info ( also $ amount ) and maybe you will get some more suggestions

5. benmp3master2

Well it because of money. Strapped for cash and I dont want to spend any more than have to. The only thing I would like to be integrated is a nic, I have everything else as pci and agp. I do not need a micro atx board, the one I have is huge, I chose that Biostar board because of price. Thanks for the help

P.S. I would prefer to spend less than $150 to upgrade board, possibly adding DDR ram.

6. plschwartz

plschwartz

Well the best I can do is to tell you what I recently got myself.
    MB Albatron is a company on the make. Pure chinese. Ex head ofGigabyte said to head it. Is at some sites I trust.

Albatron KX400+ Pro Socket A ATX VIA KT333 5PCI 266MHz FSB DDR ATA/133
    Supports AMD Athlon/Athlon XP/Duron CPU 500MHz to 2200+, KT333/8233A chipset, 2 ATA/133 channels, 266MHz FSB, USB 2.0, 6 channel audio
    $63.00 at www.computergate.com This is my usual shop and it is cheaper here then on pricegrabber.
    Memory

Samsung IC Chipset 256MB DDR333 PC2700 Memory . $67 at computergate, $64 + free shipping at googlegear.com
    Since you have money left over check out the AOPEN O-35G PS/2 optical Mouse, 520dpi, 3-Button+2-Wheel, Bulk Pack for $13.00. actually it it has two extra side buttons which go back/forward on web sites. Microsoft makes one for much more.at computergate
    Let me know if any problems

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/111186

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice